Loctite

PERSONALLY I use Loctite all the time. Use the blue stuff on anything that even might vibrate loose. Intakes-yes, headbolts-NO. I use it on rod bolts, sidecover bolts even carb mixture screws that tend to move. Use the red stuff on any stud or like me on exhaust bolts. If you need to take the bolts/studs out just heat a little with a propane torch and they come out no problem. I have used this stuff for years and years and would rather use it than not. Better safe than sorry-trust me.

jrzmac

ATKRIDER, I only have the blue stuff. I was told NEVER use it on an exhaust. Check out my post above with the pics and tell me if you think any of those things need to be tightened down a little more than everything else!

In the first pict I would use it on the clutch bolt but the secondary looks good to go with that locking setup already installed. The second pict I can't tell what it is. Intake bolts absolutely. Personally just think about it-IF you use the blue stuff even if it isn't torgued super tight at least however tight/loose it is it won't change. I personally build small engines/equipment every day and I swear by the stuff. If you want it to STAY TOGETHER use it-if you are going to take it apart all the time than don't. I use the "red death" loctite on exhaust's all the time-they don't blow gaskets because they don't come loose. Anyone that knows-has seen me knows that I have the physical ability to tighten bolts to their limit but it's not about that-it's about vibration and the loctite cures that. Again IF you don't want it coming loose on it's own just use it.

One other thing is when you store loctite after it is opened I have found over the years that you really need to store it with the cap OFF. It only dries with the absence of air so by leaving the cap off it should never dry out-it works for me.

I use it everywhere I can't use a lock washer, but noth the exhaust and head bolts. "Anything" that I thread into aluminum with a torque spec get's bolt paste on it. (Thread lube) Steel and aluminum will gall, and begin to remove aluminum thread eventually. 242 blue.

george3

NOT exhaust or head bolts. Intake small amount. On your little low HP engine you really dont need it any where. Use the correct hardware on your engine, if a issue comes up then use it if nessary. On a moded engine I use it almost everywhere.

if you torque the bolts according to the service manual
stuff like loctite isn't needed.
Sometimes thats just not true.
Prime example is the case cover on clones.
Often they come loose because its just the nature of aluminum castings heat vibration and a bit of oil.

Blue loctite or sometimes green wicking if things are REALLY bad.

Sometimes thats just not true.
Prime example is the case cover on clones.
Often they come loose because its just the nature of aluminum castings heat vibration and a bit of oil.

Blue loctite or sometimes green wicking if things are REALLY bad.
i stand corrected! :thumbsup:

the tecumsehs and honda i rebuilt so far had no loctite
used and 'so far' nothing has fallen off of them.