looking for a offroad minibike

I have never had a minibike but i would like one that is good for hill climbs but can at least do 20mph no less than 5hp engine. I would only like to spend a max of 300$.

Well Marty: You are asking a lot the 5 HP is correct for the hills and 20 MPH should be easy to achieve with the gearing set up low the hills are possable a clutch will work but a Torque Converter will work better . About the max price of $300.00 you will have to judge for your self if that will do the job. Craigslist and local sales are the best if you live in an area the has a good working listing . What you want sounds like a Tote Gote will do it all and then some and I do see them out there I that price range but thats here.
Steve

where are you in CA? you might like the one i have with a 3.5hp and a TAV2 (which cost around $160). i'm in the East Bay Area and don't want to deal with shipping it.

i've ridden it in dirt some (flat) and it does great. i'll let it go for $200. you could get a 5hp flathead to bolt in and still be within your budget, especially if you sold the 3.5.

reply in this thread or pm me if i don't get back to this thread. click the red link in my thread for a pic. it's a big bike (very comfortable) and has 8" wheels. i can't fit it in the back of my Durango.

Last edited:
Marty, you definetly should find a bike with a torque converter. I have a Heald Trail Bronc that I think is an ideal minibike. It's compact, yet big enough for two, it has suspension, decent brakes, it pulls hard (will hillclimb) and will go over 35mph. You can also look at Rupps. I'm sure some other members can think of other brands that came with torque converters. You can probably find a good project in your price range, but may have to spend a bit more for an excellent example. Keep in mind that if it is a vintage mini that is undamaged and mostly complete, your purchase can be a wise investment. Beware of damage, especially on the front end, most minis get crashed. Good luck, Tim.

I second the Heald trail bronc, or super bronc, perfect for what you are describing. there are a lot out that way, check craigstlist.org, and ebay. could get a nice fixer upper for that money.