looking for a project... drag mini bike

Street Smart

I currently have an old school mini, flathead 5 hp Tec. motor. We`ve had it for years just redid it really nice. We use it as a pit bike at the track when we race. We get alot of smiles and thumbs up too. I got it when my older son was about 10 (he just turned 26).
I want to build a drag bike and was wondering what style frame would be a good starting point. We build cars so I`m well equiped and cam cut n weld.
is it better to have a long wheel base, I`m sure I`ll need to add some pos. caster to the fork, how low should it be?
any input or pics would be apprieciated, thanks guys!

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
If you can find any Taco, those are small, light weight, low to the ground frames that work well. Also make sure you add some bracing to the neck area, that's the weak area that needs attention.

If you can find any Taco, those are small, light weight, low to the ground frames that work well. Also make sure you add some bracing to the neck area, that's the weak area that needs attention.
how much do these little taco frames go for or where can i find one too

cxbra

Pricing on a Taco depends.. I have seen about 4 for sale on Craigslist, none under $400 (complete bikes). These are the "top of the line" minibikes so expect to pay for one. The last one I saw for $450 was a beautiful bare metal Taco w/ a 5hp flathead with a TAV. I would have sold my pinky finger for it!

Also guys, you wont want ONLY the frame.. you need the other Taco components too, plus a lot of people are probably trying to keep them in one piece.

For my "drag bike" I'm using the cat duster frame I bought.. The axle tabs are wayyy in the rear so the wheel sits pretty far back. It is pretty low to the ground as well and can fit a Pretty good size slick. I'm going to run a 12x6x6 in the rear and It clears no problem (I can actually go wider).

The engine bay is large and I sat my Tec 8HP in there fully dressed in huge stock filter and pipe with no problems today. I like how the frame slopes down as well to give me that "tuck" help and lower C of G while I'm running.

I think I paid $30 or $40 for it as it sat below in the pics.

Here is a pic when I bought it.. It's all stripped, welded, reinforced etc.. and ready for paint now.

Last edited: