Made my own tav cover decal

toomanytoys

Been screwing with this on and off. I’m not a graphic designer or skilled in anyway at this type of work but I figured what the heck. Took me a long time to get the shape right (and it’s still not perfect I need to work on the shape around the driver area)

what do you guys think?

87AA7930-26E0-4DF1-9EDF-E5D404E894D6.jpeg

nightgrider

Looks really good.

A good way that I've used in the past to get 1:1 scale references for decals is to do a pencil rubbing of the area on plain white paper. Then I use a scanner to bring the rubbing on to the computer. I use reference measurements to ensure the correct scale. A couple of good programs I like to use are Gimp and Inkscape. Both are open source and free. They are very comparable to photoshop and illustrator. I like to use Inkscape to make my decals, because it is vector based graphics system and allows for infinite scaling without loss of resolution. That's how I made the water slide decals on my predator 212 engine.

https://oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/fox-campus-trail-bike-build.161269/post-1275251

toomanytoys

Looks really good.

A good way that I've used in the past to get 1:1 scale references for decals is to do a pencil rubbing of the area on plain white paper. Then I use a scanner to bring the rubbing on to the computer. I use reference measurements to ensure the correct scale. A couple of good programs I like to use are Gimp and Inkscape. Both are open source and free. They are very comparable to photoshop and illustrator. I like to use Inkscape to make my decals, because it is vector based graphics system and allows for infinite scaling without loss of resolution. That's how I made the water slide decals on my predator 212 engine.

https://oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/fox-campus-trail-bike-build.161269/post-1275251
Thank you! I’m new to all this stuff. My wife bought a cutter, printers, presses, ect ect. Probably 2 grand worth of stuff and she has made a total of 92 dollars now. So 1988 dollars till we see a profit lol

That is great information and idea for scaling it!!! I have Gimp but I need to look into Inkscape. That might be a lot better for making the actually outline shape.

I seriously sat there in cricut design space moving standard shapes, slicing and using a tape measure to get the dimensions.

I bet I have 4 hours of my time screwing with this.

I’d like to get the sticker shape on point and I could sell some custom made stickers if people are interested. Once the basic design is done I could put whatever text, backgrounds, and designs they wanted.

going to try to do the round part next. Should be easy. I stole the name puncher from a ruttman I seen a few years ago. I was going to do a boxing glove in a black circle with red offset around jt.

nightgrider

Thank you! I’m new to all this stuff. My wife bought a cutter, printers, presses, ect ect. Probably 2 grand worth of stuff and she has made a total of 92 dollars now. So 1988 dollars till we see a profit lol

That is great information and idea for scaling it!!! I have Gimp but I need to look into Inkscape. That might be a lot better for making the actually outline shape.

I seriously sat there in cricut design space moving standard shapes, slicing and using a tape measure to get the dimensions.

I bet I have 4 hours of my time screwing with this.

I’d like to get the sticker shape on point and I could sell some custom made stickers if people are interested. Once the basic design is done I could put whatever text, backgrounds, and designs they wanted.

going to try to do the round part next. Should be easy. I stole the name puncher from a ruttman I seen a few years ago. I was going to do a boxing glove in a black circle with red offset around jt.
You are welcome. I studied computer graphics tech in college. If you have any questions or want someone to bounce ideas off. I'm more than willing to help out the best I can.

cfh

I make decals for all my bikes. Do them up in Photoshop (.psd files) and then have my buddy print them on vinyl. They work great. I post the Photoshop files for them on www.pinrepair.com/minibikes if anyone wants to use them. Done all sorts from Harrison, Fox, Speedway, Rupp, Honda. Personally i use Photoshop. Doing vector style graphics takes a lot longer (at least for me), and the juice is not worth the squeeze in my eye. I just use scissors to cut them out too. I mean you could get fancier, but again, I'm just making them for me, so it's not worth the effort (or money) to electronically cut them.
http://www.pinrepair.com/minibikes/p/decal3.jpg

Last edited:

toomanytoys

I make decals for all my bikes. Do them up in Photoshop (.psd files) and then have my buddy print them on vinyl. They work great. I post the Photoshop files for them on www.pinrepair.com/minibikes if anyone wants to use them. Done all sorts from Harrison, Fox, Speedway, Rupp, Honda. Personally i use Photoshop. Doing vector style graphics takes a lot longer (at least for me), and the juice is not worth the squeeze in my eye. I just use scissors to cut them out too. I mean you could get fancier, but again, I'm just making them for me, so it's not worth the effort (or money) to electronically cut them.
http://www.pinrepair.com/minibikes/p/decal3.jpg
I might steal your ct70 logos for my knock off bike.

I already have the cutter, and equipment. My wife is big into making and selling shirts, hats, vinyl decals, ect ect. She makes and sells tons of stuff.

I don’t have photoshop just Gimp. I could use photoshop pretty good back in 2001. But I haven’t touched it since.

toomanytoys

Looks really good.

A good way that I've used in the past to get 1:1 scale references for decals is to do a pencil rubbing of the area on plain white paper. Then I use a scanner to bring the rubbing on to the computer. I use reference measurements to ensure the correct scale.
I used your method to perfect my TAV decal. I pencil rubbed, scanned, used inkscape to make the shape, colored the background, dropped that into cricut design software, added text, offset, and the lantern decal. Printed on a piece of paper, cut out to test the size and it was 100% perfect!

Thanks again for sharing your method. I need to watch some tutorials on inkscape. Stuff is all like greek to me. But I have nothing but time on my hands right now.

tav cover decal.JPG

nightgrider

I used your method to perfect my TAV decal. I pencil rubbed, scanned, used inkscape to make the shape, colored the background, dropped that into cricut design software, added text, offset, and the lantern decal. Printed on a piece of paper, cut out to test the size and it was 100% perfect!

Thanks again for sharing your method. I need to watch some tutorials on inkscape. Stuff is all like greek to me. But I have nothing but time on my hands right now.

View attachment 288561
You are very welcome. That's what's great about this community. We've all got different talents and perspectives and this site can bring us all together to help each other with our projects.