making a gas tank

i seen someone make a round gas tank out of 2 car oil filters and and i thought that was a really good idea but it wouldnt hold much gas :shrug:. so thinking about this i thought maybe two of them small green propane tanks would do the job. cutting the tops off after all the pressure is out :hack: and welding the two bottom halfs together :weld: ... anyody think it would work? thanks. travis123321

Well.. I suppose if you insist on killing yourself with a homemade pipe bomb...

I would suggest building a unit from something broken propane adapter parts.. I/E old blow torch or something.. Rig it to a vacuum pump, so you can vacuum out the contents best you can, seal it off.. Ad your other home made machine to pump the cylinder full of water.. Slosh it around.. Pump it dry... Try that a few times.. Fill it with water.. drill a hole through the side with a drill to open it up to create a vent...
Blow it up in your face because the drill bit sparked and evidently your home made machines aren't workin so hot..

I have a junk basketball goal post that's begging for some ends brazed onto a section. Then a filler neck and cap from and old briggs tank (got a few) and a bung for the outlet. A round tank for free nearly. I also have access to aluminum irrigation pipe and am considering contracting a welder to build some aluminum tanks but the parts are high for the filler and fittings so no fortune to be made. Still there is a demand, profit is profit and if none or little I'm meeting the demand if I do it. Junk tanks bring $50 on ebay but I've scored a few for little to nothing. I have a stash of tanks but bid on more and buy more when I see em. Might as well make some. Just not out of Propane tanks, no good way to crack one without risk IMO and I do some sketchy stuff.:laugh:

we dont use car oil filters , it large tractor or oil filter off big machines . like this one is

i can make tanks that can hold gallons this one shown is over 3/4 gallon .
if your up for a welding project i have a steel tank i was working on with a filler neck idea . i would guess it around 1/2 to 3/4 gallon in size . im not going to finish it maybe like $25 and its yours to do as you like :shrug:

Well.. I suppose if you insist on killing yourself with a homemade pipe bomb...

I would suggest building a unit from something broken propane adapter parts.. I/E old blow torch or something.. Rig it to a vacuum pump, so you can vacuum out the contents best you can, seal it off.. Ad your other home made machine to pump the cylinder full of water.. Slosh it around.. Pump it dry... Try that a few times.. Fill it with water.. drill a hole through the side with a drill to open it up to create a vent...
Blow it up in your face because the drill bit sparked and evidently your home made machines aren't workin so hot..
yea now that i think of it, its not the greatest idea...

I have a junk basketball goal post that's begging for some ends brazed onto a section. Then a filler neck and cap from and old briggs tank (got a few) and a bung for the outlet. A round tank for free nearly. I also have access to aluminum irrigation pipe and am considering contracting a welder to build some aluminum tanks but the parts are high for the filler and fittings so no fortune to be made. Still there is a demand, profit is profit and if none or little I'm meeting the demand if I do it. Junk tanks bring $50 on ebay but I've scored a few for little to nothing. I have a stash of tanks but bid on more and buy more when I see em. Might as well make some. Just not out of Propane tanks, no good way to crack one without risk IMO and I do some sketchy stuff.:laugh:
the basketball net post thing is a really good idea..

we dont use car oil filters , it large tractor or oil filter off big machines . like this one is

i can make tanks that can hold gallons this one shown is over 3/4 gallon .
if your up for a welding project i have a steel tank i was working on with a filler neck idea . i would guess it around 1/2 to 3/4 gallon in size . im not going to finish it maybe like $25 and its yours to do as you like :shrug:
im not really into buying anything like it. it was just an idea because im bored and waiting for another project. thanks though

iv got probrobly a dozen propane tanks cut open and one almost made into a tank. Just pull out the two valve cores and dunk it in water till you get all the bubbles out. Got to remove both cores so it doesnt airlock. then cut it open with a hacksaw while its still full. No problem. I use the bottoms just rip off the bottom tray and grind off where it was brazed on and youve got a nice rounded surface

iv got probrobly a dozen propane tanks cut open and one almost made into a tank. Just pull out the two valve cores and dunk it in water till you get all the bubbles out. Got to remove both cores so it doesnt airlock. then cut it open with a hacksaw while its still full. No problem. I use the bottoms just rip off the bottom tray and grind off where it was brazed on and youve got a nice rounded surface
so its not that bad of an idea then?

gbabins1

I have used propane tanks with no issues. I remove the schrader valve then blow compressed air inside a few times. Haven't had any issues. Here's some pictures. I used both types, the small green ones and the taller blue ( torch type ) Cut the tips off with an angle grinder, weld shut then grind down.

Don't get me wrong... they are not perfect but they work well and look decent IMO.

I havnt blown up yet :shrug: I usually wear protective gear though just incase. I dont see how it can blow up if full of water and a hacksaw makes no sparks
yea as long as i take safety precautions i should be fine. im gonna try this tommorow if i can fine 2 used ones. thanks for helping