Making/Programming Custom Billet Parts

Decided to try my hand at playing with 3d programming and parts... so will post related progress in this thread... looking for a program to buy that isnt going to break the bank.. but also trying some free ones and figuring out how to convert it over to misc saved files... programs would be able to cut on most machines...

this first project if for some lighted end caps, i want to make for my first tig welding project... lots of firsts with this first one (for me)...

i out a groove in the bottom to accept a rubber oring... the s is recessed, i may trim out areas around the S shape so that i can light that up too... doing these two end caps as a test... in case people start liking some of the stuff i do and want something custom for themselves... im trying to learn any and everything i can, related to fabrication... and programming and letting a machine to the work, can sometimes be a great way to accomplish something, where you dont have all the skill or machinery to manually do it...

Dumb question: 6061 is a multipurpose aluminum? I know not a whole lot about aluminum and had been looking for a sprocket spacer solution on my first build when I came across 6061 solid rounds. i ended up not using 6061 since I had no means of truing both faces.

LS you have the touch, nice to see a proper aluminum weld, looks like you used 4043 filler rod.

Dr. Shop Teacher 6061 is a very common grade 6061-t6 more so, most angle, square tubing, flat bar and a majority of custom extrusions are 6061-t6.
Do you own a 72-302 maverick, Do you have a pic you could PM me.
Scott

Dumb question: 6061 is a multipurpose aluminum? I know not a whole lot about aluminum and had been looking for a sprocket spacer solution on my first build when I came across 6061 solid rounds. i ended up not using 6061 since I had no means of truing both faces.
yes 6061-t6 is commonly used on these types of parts... billet etc...
LS you have the touch, nice to see a proper aluminum weld, looks like you used 4043 filler rod.

Dr. Shop Teacher 6061 is a very common grade 6061-t6 more so, most angle, square tubing, flat bar and a majority of custom extrusions are 6061-t6.
Do you own a 72-302 maverick, Do you have a pic you could PM me.
Scott
thanks... yes 4043

Last edited:
6061 is pretty common, I use 7075 for my brake discs. 7075 is not a weldable aluminum alloy, some aluminum alloys are not weldable.
But the 7075 is very strong and can take a heat treat, the 6061 is not as strong but is more general purpose.
7075 is usually used in aircraft, none of the 7 series alloys are weldable with traditional methods as far as I know.

Have you tried the free CAD from www.emachineshop.com ? They have several easy 4 to 5 minute videos that teach how to use their CAD to draw parts. I have had them make parts for me, and they have been around for a decade or more.

You can draw a part and get instant quotes on having it made. The software lets you adjust quality and finish to get the price down. Even if you have another shop make the part, you get a ballpark idea of cost.

Wow ! Sweet bead on them welds LS. Hate to see when ya get good at it :laugh:
thanks
Those welds are looking sweet Gerald , you are getting good at this welding stuff .
thanks

Have you tried the free CAD from www.emachineshop.com ? They have several easy 4 to 5 minute videos that teach how to use their CAD to draw parts. I have had them make parts for me, and they have been around for a decade or more.

You can draw a part and get instant quotes on having it made. The software lets you adjust quality and finish to get the price down. Even if you have another shop make the part, you get a ballpark idea of cost.
yes, i have tried their program, but I have friends with the machines... i also use an autodesk program and draftsite... i sent a few files to a friend and he said the 3d files worked great... changed the design though a bit

ok, sorry for delay... have had a little progress done for a while, but had to sit down for a little and focus on my health... anyhow... making a tank for a friend.. got his caps programmed, done and welded on... need to clean it up, smooth the welds out, as i want it to look like one piece and that one will be done...

as for my first lighted set of caps that are bolt on.. i programmed that as well and had them cut, they fit perfectly... i also programmed in a little o ring groove so that i could seal it moisture out etc.. for the led/electrical set up... if need be...

also a cap and bung i designed to match something specific for a person who commissioned me to make a gas tank to replicate something else... his proj may be under wraps, so i wont show much... but it will hopefully be pretty cool when he is done with it... but here is the vented billet cap and bung...