Manco 572 cruiser help

So I picked up a manco cruiser and this thing is giving me fits. I have 5 other bikes and they seem to do what they are supposed to do. I have searched and not much help so I thought I would ask here. The issue I am having is with the band break. I realized after looking at the exploded view there was a bracket missing For the cable stop so I welded and fabricated a bracket. I pulled the band and it looks like it has had very little use. I cleaned it and scuffed it but no matter what I do I can not get this bike to stop. I put a new cable on, nope. I realized there was not much throw on the original lever so I replaced that with a new one that has twice the throw and still can not get it to stop. I realize there is a lot of rotating force but I also have a manco questor 3 wheeler with a band break running 19 inch tires and it will darn near lock up. I converted a manco streaker to a 3 wheeler and used a 4 inch drum band break and it will almost throw you over the handle bars. I have flipped the band and that did nothing. Is it possible this is a junk band. I am going to switch the band off of one of my others but I am just scratching my head on this one. Any others have issues with bad bands. I will try to upload pics tomorrow. I am almost wondering it the band is too big as it seems to darn near wrap around the bell. I have a 4.2 inch band on a 4 inch bell and it works fine. If this is a 4.2 inch band could that be the reason.

Hmm after 55 views I don't have any advice? I hope I can get it figured out and can share with other. Any thoughts of cross hatch sanding on the drum or should I try a new one? Is it possible this drum is too smooth?