Manco steering (headset) bushing source?

Hello gents (and ladies?) -- newbie here. I just picked up my first mini bike (a Manco with 3.5 horse Tecumseh), and had a quick question. I need to sort a couple of things out, one of which is slop in the headset. A quick search did not answer my question (that I could see), so I turn to you fine folks!

I assume there is a bushing in the headset that can be replaced. Can anyone tell me whether it's a standard bushing that I ought to be able to pick up at Ace, True Value, Home Depot, etc...? If not, is there a mail order source?

This little thing looks like it'll be a hoot to ride. I rode one several times as a kif up in WI, during the summer. LOVED IT! Can't wait to get this one rideable. It needs a chain (sources?) and a rear tube, and I'd like to get the steering slop rectified. Should ride otherwise!

Thanks in advance!

welcome to OldMiniBikes
if you click on the red bar at the top of the page , where is says log out new posts ... click on the OldMiniBikes.com then go to the tubes , and there is chain there too .
i know there was a thread on them bushings but i cant remember what one it was . maybe mac has some of them ?

zeeman

I tried my Ace, but no luck. My Manco Thunderbird has plastic bushings. You could just pop it out and take it around to several hardware stores. Most have bushings in metal drawers. Good luck. Welcome.

Yes its a shame that they put losey plastic bushings in the neck. You will need to measure carefully the ID of the neck, but I do believe they have brass bushings at say Lowes that have the correct OD. They may not be the correct ID(5/8") but that can be drilled to the correct bolt size. When I got my Thunderbird I replaced my bushings with brass ones I made from a set of lawn mower bushings. I had to drill them out which was easy, just used a step drill and drilled from both sides. You should have no trouble in finding a set to work, also check with Ebay as there are numerous listings for bushings. Good Luck

Tractor Supply also has the brass bushings. I make my own from brass or bronze if the size is oddball. Take a chance you can modify one the standard 5/8 from Home Depot, Lowes, Tractor Supply etc. Thats the best price. All else fails, message me. Good luck! Don

Thanks, folks! I got the bike running and rode it around the yard a bit -- fun!!! All it needs now is that bushing and a kill switch. I'll check out the bushing size tomorrow, if time permits.

Thanks again, everyone!

Just an update -- the bushings are brass, and one was sourced from the local Ace Hardware for a few bucks. The bike lives! Now, I just need to clean the carb out to get it to idle.