Mardi gras bike

Hello everybody my name is Michael Hoyt Williamson and I'm looking for advice on adding a gas motor to my 3-man quad / side by side Mardi gras trike/float. I'm not looking for speed, I got a lot of weight to move. When we are loaded with beads, people and booze I've got a thousand pounds to move and my day of pedaling this thing is about over. I'm not for sure what would be best, but this is what I'm thinking, either a Predator 212 or a Tillotson 212. I will be using a hub sprocket on a 26-inch bicycle wheel with 12-gauge spokes. The parade route is about 3 miles and a half mile of it is uphill. It's a parade, I'm not going fast and I'm doing a lot of stop and go driving. I'm not for sure what's best on gear size front and back. Any of you that have any advice or expertise on building wild motorized vehicles I would love to hear from you. The Pensacola Grand Mardi Gras Parade is March 1, 2025, IMG_0871.JPG and need this bike up and running.

Please excuse my ignorance, but are there other bicycles like this one, that have engines on them?
I do not believe a bicycle hub will handle the torque required for your application.
I, personally would be afraid of the liability of adding an engine to any form of conveyance to carry people, in a crowd, where alcohol might be involved. It would seem that a golf cart or a side-by-side, with proper brakes, steering and drive train, pulling a trailer would be a more suitable parade float.
Best of luck to you, Sir!
Have fun and be safe.

I guess if you’re serious….really?… but there is a guy in here “MJ” something that has the very best motorized bikes I’ve ever seen….someone will remember and post his name….

maybe ms…starts with a “m”

A Cushman trike would be nice.
Can you put an engine under the front of that thing and use a differential axle, like a trike axle in place of your front wheels?
How does that thing even steer? I see a chain and a set of pedals in front and a fork in the middle.

Minimichael

The conversion wheels could help you with the peddling, per your desire, via a twist throttle, but without the persistent lawnmower sound always running. Don't change anything too drastically, like hybrid-ing with another vehicle. Your whole set up could end up looking ridiculous.

Minimichael

Throw a couple of these on the front..
1000008848.png
Might be what you need to give your golden gams the tlc they deserve.

I had been thinking of motorizing an adult tricycle and putting a little 1hp flathead in the rear basket. That's about all I would venture because as Sparkwiz said the bike's other parts may not be up to the stress. So to supplement, I also had my eye on this product to replace the front wheel.

Could even put solar on a canopy to round out the whole experience and keep collateral sources juiced. Internet, anyone?

Last edited: