Mechanical Walking Machine Progect

I do have the head started and the frame for the sulky. Not much to show but ill get some pics. Right now its on the back burner because my shop is full of other projects.

Jeep, what are you doing on a mini bike site?. You should be working for NASA, on the future space shuttle to Mars. Elon Musk wants your phone number.

Last edited:
Lol those are cool. whats up with that seat? Heres what iv got for the head sofar. Im not totally sold on the helmet but I like the brass ears coming off it. I wish it was just a bit shorter. It might look more proportional when i get the lower jawline on it. For the eyeballs I took a plastic glad container lid and melted it in the toaster with a big marble in it to bulb it out. Im thinking I might pit a little light inside the head along with a little driver seat since there is a nice platform for a cockpit. Its a fun idea but im not sure how much youll be able to see in there through the eyeball. So rather than the head moving with the steering like the neck does I am going to make it move with a leaver on a cable so that I can make him look around while going straight. That will definately be more realistic.

WOW! Just....Wow. I thought I was a shade tree engineer/artist.....
I am awestruck by the pure inginuity and craftsmanship you have displayed with this project. The walking machines have always intrigued me. This is wild. Looking really good, like you had one stashed back to reverse engineer. I know u didn't it just amazes me at the level you are building at.
Can't wait to see what you do next.

Ugh its a shame about those photobucket pics but good news Im working on this thing again and its going great! Iv been working on it about a week actually got it alot farther than these pics show i need to take some more but as you can see I got the head mostly built still need to atatch the lower jaw and make it move by cable. The sulky is looking amazing heres some teazer shots for now. Im using thick wall black pipe. its strong yet bends nicely im not worried about weighing it down I actually want the sulky heavy because it has to keep the bird stable even when im not sitting on it. I got the shifter/ tail done. It will hit the sulky pipes when in high gear but I figure it wont be turning that sharp when traveling fast anyway. I will just have to gear it proper so that im not needing high gear that often. More pics to come in a few days

Attachments

Ok so I made the seat area from an old cot with the metal mesh and just used some leather patches for the pad. Iv got to thread the axle for castle nuts and im going to make some little screw in scythes for the axle ends like i did on the foot bar. I may add some chainmail on the open areas on the sides of the sulky but i dont think im going to put any on the beast itself. The throttle cable will be by the wheel i ran it up through the pipe. I dont think im going to cable control the head because it will move around by itself as its walking the way it is weighted . So Its pretty much done for now I think just have to drill some holes in the turn shaft. Also think im going to put a smaller sprocket on the trans input. So soon I will tear it down and build it back up for a test ride. It would be cool to be done by halloween

Attachments

Haha, and I thought the Goliath Tank was awesome! I don't know what kinda spare time you have but you get cool sh*t done! I was a Youtube subscriber to your channel before I found you here. My dream was to make a sort-of tank out of a Rotax 503 I have lying around. It's nice to dream...

I got the beast all done It worked great the first time out. Clear coated everything and reassembled. After a few rides things started to loosen up so I had to make some adjustments. I made a couple spacers for the jackshaft and the drive arm for one leg. Also had to tack weld a steering sprocket to the shaft because the set screw wasnt cutting it. I still have a little slop in the steering shaft that holds the sulky so im going to cut a keyway for that I think maybe I used a bit too big of drill bit in the shaft. Also the steering chain is a little loose so i might make a tensioner for that. Id like to get the steering as tight as I can. Not that it really needs it but I think with the back and forth is just going to get sloppier and wear on things. Also put a little spring on the head so it doesnt whip around so much. The gearing is prefect. Iv only been using it in first and second gear. I tried faster but its way out of control scary.
https://youtu.be/03szt5Ln9bs

Last edited: