Medium hp machine for the woods/trail - 4hp?

So I'm thinking about building a bike more for the woods and for hilly trails. The 2.8hp, jackshafted doodlebug (dirt bug/old style) works pretty good for this, with its thick tires. But two issues I noticed for me (150lb): not enough hp, and no shocks.

So the mbx11 is one possibility. Maybe get a roller when they are available again. I saw the thread on swapping the fork only. I don't want to do that--I want to end up with another mini bike after this, not extra parts.

I was thinking about putting a lifan 4hp on, say, an mbx11, and add the jackshaft. The 6.5hp is too much power for a woods/trail machine, and lots of vibration. I'm not really fond of the mbx10/11 look, but I could deal with it.

Any other ideas? I've been watching CL for fat tire options but all I see are Baja Warriors. Not really what I'm looking for. I guess I could just put fat tires on a generic frame, but would still need the shocks.

How can you say the predy is too much power for the trails? One thing you're gonna need to get up those hills is power. I'd go with the predy for sure

What they said.

You can always turn in the throttle stop screw if you need less power.

May come a day when you want more power. Hop up parts are readily available for the predator

Dang, guys, I put a Pred on the Sensation and it's so right side heavy, I have to tell the kids to make sure the engine is on the uphill side when on the kickstand (left side, as original on that bike.) It's also got a lot of vibration. Takes off like a bat out of h3ll, and that's great on open pavement but not in the woods with pine trees everywhere. I'd have to jackshaft it down, for sure with the younger kid.

Well, anyway, I started thinking this idea was dumb. The woods and trails just aren't the place for 6" rims. So now I'm looking at XR70's or CRF70's. I can get a used one for about the same as what I'd put into an old school mini with all the upgrades.

fistfullabar

Dang, guys, I put a Pred on the Sensation and it's so right side heavy, I have to tell the kids to make sure the engine is on the uphill side when on the kickstand (left side, as original on that bike.) It's also got a lot of vibration. Takes off like a bat out of h3ll, and that's great on open pavement but not in the woods with pine trees everywhere. I'd have to jackshaft it down, for sure with the younger kid.

Well, anyway, I started thinking this idea was dumb. The woods and trails just aren't the place for 6" rims. So now I'm looking at XR70's or CRF70's. I can get a used one for about the same as what I'd put into an old school mini with all the upgrades.
yep got my son a xr70 honda he loves it :thumbsup: