MEGA PROBLEM. IM SO STUPID. Can you help?

Ok so i was mounting my new clone onto cjtmini's mounting plate. I put alittle bit of loctite on all of the bolts that mount the engine to the plate, and the plate to the frame. I got a phone call and got sidetracked. When i was done i started working on mounting the clutch and little bits here and there. When i went to tighten the chain and move the engine forward, i couldnt tighten the bolts. The loctite has set and locked the nut onto the bolt. When i tighten it the bolt just spins. I cant reach the head of the bolt to hold it in place because it is hidden under the engine.(anyone with knowledge of cjtmins plate knows what i mean). So basically i cant take my engine off the plate and i cant take the plate off, or even tighten the nuts, to the frame. WHAT SHOULD I DO?! i think im going to have to get a nut cutter and start over. I cant believe i let the loctite set. Im kicking myself. I cant ride it STILL!!! Please help me. What are my options? Nut cutter, heat? solvent? DAMN!

Get a profane torch and gently heat your nuts, the Loctite will melt and give up the fight.....

I Like to use self locking nuts AND lock washers as a back up, but there are all kinds of other choices. Best thing to do is figuere out what is enough to hold your bolts in place. Sometimes you can get away with a weaker grade of loctite like the blue

If you just used regular blue or red loctite you should be able to heat it up and it'll break down the loctite. You dont have to get too crazy, just a little propane torch will do the trick. Another trick to is to put some pressure on the bolts if you can only reach one side, so if you can pry inbetween the plate and the motor/frame and then try to turn the bolt it might put enough pressure on the nut to hold it in place. Good luck!

like said before, just apply a bit of heat.

there's no reason to loctite the engine bolts. i just tighten the shit out of mine and have never had them come loose.

I guess I will make a revision to my instructions "DO NOT USE THREAD LOCTITE OR NYLON LOCK NUTS"

why would you put loctite on the bolts? you will eventually have to loosen them to adjust the chain

try heating the nuts and put a wedge between the plate and the frame to loosen the lower nuts and wedge between the engine and plate to loosen the top

Good luck

Engine nuts!

Get a profane torch and gently heat your nuts...

If I heated my nuts with a Profane torch there'd be plenty of Profane words too!

Engine mounting bolts are meant to be loosened to adjust chain tension unless there is a chain tension adjusting setup on another part of the drive.

Way back in 1970, my dad and another engineer buddy of his welded two nuts onto my engine plate behind the engine block. Two bolts were run through with an additional locking nut on the bolt. These bolts were adjusted up against the engine block right near the engine mounting bolts. See picture. This adjustment tensioned the chain, prevented the engine from moving back, and helped align the engine, clutch, and chain on my Bonanza. Why didn't the factory include this obvious and helpful feature. I know the restoration purists will gasp at this "unauthorized welding" on my frame, but hey, I'm the original owner and this was an improvement back in 1970, so it stays, it's smart, and therefore it's cool!

There is nothing wrong with using a thread locker or self locking nut if the aplication justfies it. I use the removable blue stuff on lots of things where vibration is an issue. Never use Nylocks in places where heat can soften them or chemicals can desolve them

Sometimes two standard nuts locked together are enough its something like a change adjutsment or a little dab of RTV silicon to ensure a nut doens't back off works too

mybiz

If you fill like you need to use a lock nut use this style but after a couple of times on and off replace the bolt and nut!

Thanks for the help. I will try using a wedge and heat. I like the wedge idea. I think that will be most helpfull in my situation. I used loctite because on my gokart they would rattle loose. I didnt want to have to go back and tighten things down or even replace a lost nut. Ive been riding the bike with only 2 bolts holding the engine down. The otehr two bolts are just stuck there not really holding it down tight. This thing FLYS! I dont even care to mod it yet, its super fast already.

It's always a good idea to check fasteners when being used in this type of a hobby. I check EVERYTHING, quite often. Only takes a minute, or 2. By the way, the nuts that come with the kit, are they the toothed type? Thanks. Scott.

nope, just regular nuts.

the bolts actually "lock onto" the plate when you tighten them down. i guess it just has to do with the way they're countersunk in. if they didn't do this, you wouldn't be able to tighten them if you installed the engine plate first. i've swapped engines in my DB with the plate already bolted to the frame several times. i've had to hold end of the bolt with pliers a few times to be able to get the bolt to grab so i could actually tighten it but that's not the case most of the time.

it makes much more sense once you see a pic of how it's setup or have done it.

possibly. i remember reading about the plate/kit a long time ago and he said something about the bolts grabbing the plate. all i know is that it works.

man, bummer, I hope it works out for you... strange as this may sound to some, I can actually see this happening if one is from the "more is better" school.... you don't happen to be a former Marine, are you ???