Messed up my threads! Any ideas?

OK, took my bowl off to clean my e-tube and jet, put the bowl back on (in the dark) and the bowl was leaking, so.... instead of pulling it off and checking to make sure the gasket was aligned properly, I tried just tightening the bottom bolt an extra 1/4 turn. Long story short, each time I have taken the bowl off (to change jet or e-tube) or to clean, the threads have gotten worse and worse. Now the threads are just gone, not on the bolt, those are fine, but the threads on the bottom of the carb.

I tried using my tap-n-die set to clean up the threads, but there is just not enough there to hold.

Any ideas, or products which would allow me to re-thread under there? I thought about drilling it out and going up a size for the bottom bolt, but the tube just isn't that thick or wide, not sure I could go up a size.

Anybody else done this? How can I fix it without buying a new carb?

TomH

Wellll it won't come apart very easy, but red locktite would hold it in there. In that case I would get an inline filter and use something like seafoam in your gas so you don't have to take it apart. First thing I would try is wrapping the threads with teflon tape

125ccCrazy

if it's a stock clone carb they are cheap enough to just replace it and save the aggravation of a leaky carb or if there is enough material a helicoil might work.... someone here probably has one collecting dust for next to nothing......

if it's a stock clone carb they are cheap enough to just replace it and save the aggravation of a leaky carb or if there is enough material a helicoil might work.... someone here probably has one collecting dust for next to nothing......
this is the correct answer, they definitely are not rare items :)

I think it is a smidgen larger. Maybe time for an upgrade :scooter:
I would try roughening it up and cleaning it, then put a little JB weld in the hole. You may be able to tap it, or just hold it together with JB.