metal lathe.

i think if i had to pick a size that would work the best for all of us that would use it for small engine stuff? i would have to say a 12x36 or maybe little smaller would be a ideal size:thumbsup:

Looks like a 12 x 36 Atlas Delray.

Yup, 12” lathes generally have a bigger ID in the headstock, like 1 1/8” or so, and are designed for 5C collets. The headstock mouth is tapered internally to accept the 5C collet using a draw tube and a thread protector.
Really precise.
The 12 x 36 Atlas has a 7/8'' or 15/16'' ID in the headstock. I don't remember which as I haven't measured it in a long time. I do know for sure that it is just under an inch in ID.

Doug

Ok, so maybe 1 1/2-8 threaded nose and an internal Morse taper MT#3. I stand corrected. Its been too long ago I “borrowed” a buddy’s 12x 36 Atlas-Craftsman for a small project.
Good stuff here for the OP.
Steve

Ok, so maybe 1 1/2-8 threaded nose and an internal Morse taper MT#3. I stand corrected. Its been too long ago I “borrowed” a buddy’s 12x 36 Atlas-Craftsman for a small project.
Good stuff here for the OP.
Steve
Correct, MT#3 in the headstock. MT#2 in the tailstock.

delray

yes doug, 12x 36 atlas made unit..:thumbsup:

Correct thats what this little guy has, MT#3 in the headstock. MT#2 in the tailstock.

day and night trying to compare this with a cheap china small lathe.
this lathe has so many hidden features. i can run a fairly large piece of shaft through the headstock(mt#3) from the left end of the unit and then chuck it up. take the chuck off and mount a 12" face plate. use the back gears to mill my head,....just go's on and on with some neat stuff for this old machine.
use the the tailstock to drill and tap threads on a crank. hopefully soon i will be posting a thread on that build:thumbsup:

just got my hands on this old mill. no clue on make or model. i was told it came out of a ship yard here in wisconsin.
possibly from far back as the 40's

took some time to get the bed square. i am a 1/2 thousand off from front to back and left to right. i give up at that point:doah:...:laugh:
unit takes r8 collet's
just purchase a 13pc collet set,3 inch boring bar set. need to get a good vise too. maybe a small turn table..:rolleyes:
it go's on and on...:doah:

just finish up building a jackshaft unit. original pieces for that where gone?

with the help of a guy i work with we figured out the wires to make it go in reverse. motor was not the original one,but it sure fits the machine and all. motor looks to be as old as the mill. it's a old marathon 115/230 with a 3/4 dual shaft keyway.

hey if anybody know's what this is? please let me know....:thumbsup:

Nice [MENTION=339]delray[/MENTION].

I have an Enco that has whipped me and I gave up on it. I cant get the looseness out of the spindle. I will keep tinkering with it as I feel like getting aggravated by it...

delray

SAT
Nice machine.
I'm guessing there is a current/retired machinist here that could identify it for you.
i have gone on some of the vintage machinist sites and look around,no luck....:shrug:
i might just have to post it sometime on one of them sites...:rolleyes:

I picked up a 1936 South Bend 9 x 48 20 years ago.....according to South Bend, it was originally purchased by Pratt & Whitney. I can't say enough good things about it. I use it all the time! Mini Bike parts to Race Car parts to Lawn Tractor parts.....Great tool to have around!

If you have a community college near you, find out of they have a metal lath class. I took a class years ago that was Great for
learning the basics and does and don'ts.
I don't have a lath but wished I did too many times to remember. My neighbor across the street has one. When I needed something done, I asked him to do it. That worked out well but I still wish I had one...
Danford1

Definitely get a Southbend 9. I've used the crap out of mine for years and it's still in the same shape. I also have a Southbend 16 for the bigger stuff. You can still get parts for Southbends, and they are very easy to use.