Methods of Locking Axle Nuts

We've aquired a few different minibikes and what has struck me is the varying ways axle nuts get "secured" (if at all). Here are some photos of the different ones we have. Seems to me the safest is to use a drilled hole and cotter pin. Any of you have a preferred method? IMG_4443.JPEG IMG_4444.JPEG
IMG_4445.JPEG
IMG_4447.JPEG IMG_4446.JPEG

Mr. Pink

Four of the five photos in the first post make me cringe with the improper use of fasteners.

Photo one, needs a flat washer installed between the frame and castle nut, allowing the cotter pin to be properly installed in the slots of the castle nut.

Photo two, Axle bolt too short, no flat washer between frame and nut. Drilling a nut could possibly weaken it and cause a failure. Use a castle nut.

Photo three, needs at least a flat washer between frame and nut. Also a lock washer or Loctite.

Photo four, axle bolt too short. At least two threads should be showing when nut tightened.

Btw, I do not mean any disrespect by pointing out these issues.
We are all here to learn from each other.

Last edited:

DaddyJohn

Nylon locking nuts for wheels without internal bearing spacers, so you can control the tension. Wheels with internal bearing spacers can use a lock washer (locking nut or otherwise) since you’ll be tightening it fully. Pretty much all of my motorcycles have a castle nut with a hole in the axle, but don’t remember any of the vintage minis I’ve had having this set-up.

I've been away and haven't checked this thread if a few days. Boy, what great comments....

Mr. Pink - I especially want to thank you for your feedback. Your comments, and the others in this thread, have really helped me develop a common approach.

Thanks again to everyone.