Mikuni tuning

I've got a mikuni carb on my puma 196 mini bike, it has a stumble on hard acceleration, can anyone lead me to a good starting place to start dialing it in, air scre is at 2 turns out and the needle is in middle position, also have air filter and intake and a free flowing exhaust with a muffler. Thanks in advance

Ian Williams Tuning has a great write up on Mik tuning. http://www.iwt.com.au/mikunicarb.htm

Your air bleed does nothing after idle. Since I am not there I can only surmise that you are running into lean conditions under acceleration.

Try moving the needle up from the middle position- (next lower detent) and that will slightly increase fuel flow under acceleration. Run it, and if it improves, go one more and see of that fixes it.

It "could" be that you are too rich, and if that was the case, you'd move the needle further down, into the main jet. But I don't think that is happening.

I've got a mikuni carb on my puma 196 mini bike, it has a stumble on hard acceleration, can anyone lead me to a good starting place to start dialing it in, air scre is at 2 turns out and the needle is in middle position, also have air filter and intake and a free flowing exhaust with a muffler. Thanks in advance
Could you provide as much information as possible on your setup? For instance what Mikuni carb is it? Is it the chinese one with a oval slide or the round slide one. What size is it. What are the current sizes of the pilot jet and the main jet. Does the spark plug look black or is it a light color. Pictures would help as well if you are not sure of the carb.

Could you provide as much information as possible on your setup? For instance what Mikuni carb is it? Is it the chinese one with a oval slide or the round slide one. What size is it. What are the current sizes of the pilot jet and the main jet. Does the spark plug look black or is it a light color. Pictures would help as well if you are not sure of the carb.
Its a 26mm round slide, factory jet so I don't know what size as I havent taken it apart yet, cant get it to run good enough to ride for a plug check yet

delray

Its a 26mm round slide, factory jet so I don't know what size as I havent taken it apart yet, cant get it to run good enough to ride for a plug check yet
if thats a true 26mm carb. thats way to big. need to start out with a 22mm and go from there. like the guys said earlier. need details on everything done to your engine. type of head work if any or stock,cam,flywheel...etc.....everything.

if thats a true 26mm carb. thats way to big. need to start out with a 22mm and go from there. like the guys said earlier. need details on everything done to your engine. type of head work if any or stock,cam,flywheel...etc.....everything.
Everything is stock on the engine, have torque converter, an exhaust with a muffler on it, its a mikuni off of Amazon is all I know about it stock cam, flywheel and all that

delray

Everything is stock on the engine, have torque converter, an exhaust with a muffler on it, its a mikuni off of Amazon is all I know about it stock cam, flywheel and all that
ok maybe put the stock carb and governor back on it and rejet the carb with a good header and air cleaner and set the governor at 4000+ and have fun with it.

ok maybe put the stock carb and governor back on it and rejet the carb with a good header and air cleaner and set the governor at 4000+ and have fun with it.
If I cant get this to work ill order a 22mm mikuni and try to dial that one in, sounds like no matter what I do I have too much carb.

delray

If I cant get this to work ill order a 22mm mikuni and try to dial that one in, sounds like no matter what I do I have too much carb.
if you don't have any other mod's done to it. the stock carb rejetted with a good header and air cleaner will run just as good. maybe even better lowend response.

I'm pretty sure that this carb i have has a 26 mm air side but the carb to engine side is 22mm, matches up perfect to my buddies real deal 22mm mikuni, with that said, any idea for the starting needle clip position and the air screw is on the bottom rear of the carb? Sorry for the questions, just trying to get this running right for my kiddos to ride.

I'm pretty sure that this carb i have has a 26 mm air side but the carb to engine side is 22mm, matches up perfect to my buddies real deal 22mm mikuni, with that said, any idea for the starting needle clip position and the air screw is on the bottom rear of the carb? Sorry for the questions, just trying to get this running right for my kiddos to ride.
I answered your question in my post above. Post number two. You did fine starting with the clip centered, and once you leave idle (to 1/4 throttle), the air bleed and pilot jet is not in the equation.

Additionally, there is a nice thread here by carplayLB that does a side by side comparison of a "Chikuni" (Chinese Mikuni VM22) and an actual Mikuni VM22, and as I recall the venturi profile is indeed larger.

Last edited:

SAS289

I agree. He did mention his bike in another thread. He has a Yukon trail puma. 19 inch tire, torque converter, and probably stock gearing.

What gains would he even get with the Mikuni?

My guess would be throttle response. I have no experience with a Mikuni on a mini bike. I just can't see installing one on a stock engine.
I have 16mm mikuni on three stock engines with no other mods and the ride is so much better...more fun wife even enjoys riding them now...on the Rupp is where I notice the biggest difference/advantage...