Mikunis slow to start?

converted my Honda (basic almost stock from oem parts) to mikuni. Takes 4-6 or more pills to start now. Tried several jet combos without much help. This is on a mud motor and it makes it a major pain. Is this the nature of mikunis? Or should I be looking for a problem? These motors ime, start first or second pull with the stock carb.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Greg

there is no choke on a mikuni, only a enrichner wich is what your referring to as the choke. do you usually have it up or down when trying to start the motor? and what size pilot jet do you have?

N-gin

there is no choke on a mikuni, only a enrichner wich is what your referring to as the choke. do you usually have it up or down when trying to start the motor? and what size pilot jet do you have?
That's not were I was going with this..
I understand it has an enrichener.

N-gin

That's not where I was going with this.
I know it has an enrichener.

Being that its a mud motor, it probably isnt sitting level is it? It's hard starting is likley due to not having proper gravity fuel flow. You may consider running a fuel pump or making certain the tank is really full.

I have the "choke" up when starting. And I only have one hand available. The other one is holding the tiller so I don't get thrown in the swamp when it starts :).
It sounds like this may be the nature of mikunis ? May have to go back to a oem type. :(. Have tried 15 & 17 pilot jets. Also tried enriching the idle circuit. It just seems to take a lot of vacuum to get any raw fuel into it initially.

Greg

Being that its a mud motor, it probably isnt sitting level is it? It's hard starting is likley due to not having proper gravity fuel flow. You may consider running a fuel pump or making certain the tank is really full.
It varies from @15-20 degrees tilt down at output shaft. I thought this could be the problem and spaced the tank up an inch higher for better flow. Also have it pretty full. Guess I could raise the float level. ??

I hate to give up on the mikuni as it sure runs well and I spent some bucks and time getting it set up.

Not sure a fuel pump would help with starting. And it runs fine as is after I get it started. Thinking of some kind of primer system?

Greg

N-gin

I have the "choke" up when starting. And I only have one hand available. The other one is holding the tiller so I don't get thrown in the swamp when it starts :).
It just seems to take a lot of vacuum to get any raw fuel into it initially.

Greg
Read post 3 then 9. Then find another hand

:)

Been following this thread. I had great luck with the Mik clone version. With a lower frame mounted tank, I was running a fuel pump. I had to modify the enrichment lever to fit my application, (Briggs flat head on a Taco) but I never had to use it. Even sitting for a month, it would start on first or second pull. None of my equipment starts as well as this did.

Looking at it simply, if you have fuel in the bowl, it should fire right up. I agree with raising the float level. I used a 15 pilot jet as well. Hard starting is definitely not an inherent factor in these.