Mini Bike Hitch Carrier

MikeBear

Inventorpardue: Here is the pic ... kinda blurry tho ...
View attachment 58328

MikeBear: The carrier is a 2" class III, the hitch receiver is a 1-1/4" class II, I used the adapter and welded a 2" x 3" piece if tube to give added height needed to keep the carrier from scraping the ground going up my driveway. Here is a pic:
View attachment 58329

I would like to take credit for this design but my inspiration came from this:
Page Title Xtreme Mini Racers Store

I had the ramps but harbor freight sells them for $60 and you can always find a 25% off coupon.
The carrier is new from Auto Zone, part # 1040300. It came with the carrier, 2" to 1-1/4" adapter, 2 hitch pins and assembly hardware. $78 and some change taxed out the door.
I took it to work and added some tube to strengthen it where I will attach the tie downs to. A piece of 1' x 1" angle iron was added where the cutout for the loading ramp is on one end.
The carrier loads from the "sidewalk" side.

Thanks for the plate and lights info.

Now I wont have to bug BeeKeeper to come pick me up.
"Have mini bike, will travel!
:)
Thanks for the detailed response and pics! I was unaware they had adapters like that. Do you think maybe you should add a strap on each side from over the top, that hooks onto either side of the trunk lid for a little extra weight support? I'd be really concerned with putting too much dead-hitch weight hanging that far off the back.

I once saw a minivan driving down the other side of the expressway heading towards me. They were pulling a small "burro" type vacation trailer and the hitch BROKE, or pulled off the van on one side as they came around the curve. The trailer jackknifed to the side skidding the van, the trailer jumped into the air and EXPLODED into thousands of little pieces. It was quite impressive, and I always make sure my hitches are bolted and nutted right to the frame rails, and all the way through. Not just screwed into nuts the car manufacturer welded into place.

Hi MikeBear!

I had thought about adding straps from the carrier to the trunk lid but decided to wait until I had it all set up to determin if they were needed or not. I don't think I will need them.

The hitch is new. The car didn't have one so I bought a new one off ebay and put it on myself. there are 4 primary mounting points using 1/2" hex caps. The bolts were threaded through the frame rail with a supplied installation tool. The frame rails looked solid.

When I and a friend (450 pounds) bounced on the carrier it felt damn solid.
The class II is good for 350 pounds tongue weight. The carrier is about 60 pounds and the Hilltopper mini is about 125 pounds.
So there is about 200 pounds at best hanging off the back of the car.

I also welded up the 1-1/4" tongue that goes into the hitch so up/down & side to side movement is minimal.

It will work or it wont, I guarantee it! :laugh:

Tom "BeeKeeper" Jones:

We are not riding Sunday, we have stuff at the in-laws going on.
However Saturday is a good day to get bundled up and hit the streets with the grand kids.

How is your Saturday looking?

I know this an old thread, but I am looking at doing something like this, and none of the attachments are available anymore. Any pictures that people could re-post would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

maverick1

Can I pile in on this. I bought a new Jeep Wrangler last year and have been looking at hitches. Vesahitch makes a hitch with 3 receiver points. It would be very stable with a cargo rack. Is it overkill?