Mini Rokon - A 2x2 Azusa Build

Been super busy with work, but finally have some time to make progress. The front fender was mounted, but I wasn't happy with how it looked so it needs reworking. I'm still undecided on the paint color.

Almost 10" of ground clearance.

Your bike looks like it will climb a mountain, nice work:thumbsup: The tank might hurt your "manhood" if you have to stop fast:laugh: I might have something smaller that will fit inside of your frame.

Thanks guys,
I have a very small cylinder tank I could use, but it is only like 20oz. I also have a propane cylinder I have considered making a tank out of. That said, I like the look of the tank in the conventional "motorcycle" position, and when I stand up on the pegs there is plenty of tank/junk clearance. What are some other mounting location options? Outside the frame above the rear fender?

Last edited:
Do yall think the forks are overkill strength wise? I swear I have a disease.... I set out to build a lightweight bike and before I know it, I have some ridiculously heavy monstrosity. I find myself constantly looking for potential weaknesses...... usually unnecessarily.

Looking at the side view of the bike, taking into consideration the need for extra weight in the forks, the weak link at present will be the area where the downtube welds to the frame tubes. It looks right. If you start adding there, addheft disease will spread. I have seen a 1,200 lb trailer built to haul a 200 lb bike...

Since you have drive torque feeding the front wheel, its got twist and extra weight. Your design looks well done to me, in fact without the extra braces on the forks it would surely be flimsy. I can imagine it would be hard not to throw 15 lbs of extra metal on there. Look at a radial aircraft engine mount made of tubing - its thin wall and there is lots of it.

No overkill there, it looks about right (TLAR)! Interesting build.

Jon

Looking at the side view of the bike, taking into consideration the need for extra weight in the forks, the weak link at present will be the area where the downtube welds to the frame tubes. It looks right. If you start adding there, addheft disease will spread. I have seen a 1,200 lb trailer built to haul a 200 lb bike...

Since you have drive torque feeding the front wheel, its got twist and extra weight. Your design looks well done to me, in fact without the extra braces on the forks it would surely be flimsy. I can imagine it would be hard not to throw 15 lbs of extra metal on there. Look at a radial aircraft engine mount made of tubing - its thin wall and there is lots of it.

No overkill there, it looks about right (TLAR)! Interesting build.

Jon

Addheft disease made me laugh..... I have a chronic case of it.

Thanks, I haven't added any more bracing, and your second opinion makes me feel better about it.

damn, thats an awesome build, any updates?

I appreciate it..... updates coming soon.

delray

wardog, i think this would be a real good spot for a round tank. depending on your spacing a 4"W x 6"L or 7"L tank could hold good amount of gas,thats if you have the width between the rear frame tubing? and mounted it so the rear drive chain that is coming up to the jackshaft does not interfere?

Thanks, no leaks the very first time. The tank is just sitting there in those pics, but I plan to basically flip the mounts from the top to the bottom of the frame, so it will be tucked up nice and tight.

The chain to the rear jackshaft was directly in the way of the exhaust, so this was my solution.
The tubing is from an old metal chair, it is an even larger inside diameter than the header that came with the motor.