Minibike Ice Racer from MA

Hello all,

Here in central Massachusetts we build and ice race vintage, new, used, modified, and custom minibikes. They range from mild to wild. This will be the third year, and each year it gets bigger and better. We are not organized, but just a bunch of guys that enjoy minibikes and competion. We currently have two classes; 8hp and below (no engine mods other than exhaust and carb), and the open class (anything goes). The one rule that applies to both classes is the bike has to have a brigg style, 4 stroke, engine. (no 2 strokes, no motors with gear boxes) This year alot of the guys bought the tecumseh flathead 8hp, as last year they dominated the 8hp class. The open class this year will have a murray with a 13hp gx380 clone motor, 1971 rupp 12" wheel with a blue wazoon flathead briggs raptor pushing over 13hp and will rev to 9000rpm!, a whole bunch of other raptor bikes, a whirlwind with a briggs world formula motor, and the custom frame up brigg vanguard twin I'm currently building. Should be a good year. Here's some pics.

Yep, that right- duct tape... It protects the ice picks, that took so much labor to install from getting dull while not on the ice. First you have to remove the tire, then line the inside with a 1/2" rubber strip cut to the width of the tire including half the side wall (what a bitch)( if your lucky you might find a smaller tire to fit inside your tire instaed of the rubber strip), mount the tire and tube on the rim, inflate it, start to screw in the 450 plus picks (gold screws or kold kutters) per tire (amount depends on the tire size and tread patten), and index the picks for optimum traction (experience teaches you this). Some of us go a little further and use the holiday brand picks, as they are a little taller than the other picks and as the "sugar" is created( ice shavings that form on the track from racing) they cut through this and hold the corners better. The down side is to get them to work you have to take your 1/8" cutoff grinder, index the picks in the tire so they can be ground, and cut the slot in the pick deeper than it comes, then re-index them back to the racing position. It makes them cut into the ice better and self clean. The first time three of us used them un-cut all we did was wipe out and sweep the corners with our arses. Then comparing them to the others we noticed that the others had a deeper slot. All together it adds about 3 hours extra of prep time to each tire to use them, but nothing out there sticks better, especially when the sugar forms. In total I would say it takes 8 hours per tire start to finish, using the holidays, to pick EACH tire. This is the reason you want to protect them like they are sacred. I'll post some close ups tonight when I get home, and see if I can dig up and figure out how to upload some video.

See ya

Chris

whats up, Chris! its Clinton with the Husky

you guys are gonna have some mean rides this season! cant wait to see that twin in action :thumbsup: i gotta get my ass in gear.

What up clinton! I uploaded a video of some racing and horsing around on youtube.

One of the racers...Eric..(the one who wheelies and falls on his arss on the ice..then waves) Has put together some clips, including a helmet cam.. so you really can experience the race.

Here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM7YOfDTg8k

Enjoy

PS...Thats me at the end of the video last Labor Day, missing the jump and then hitting it for the second time executing a perfect Superman seat ride landing. Ha ha

Last edited: