Minibike on steroids

I picked this up as a gift for my son. The owner used it for pulling fence wire when installing new fences. The name tag says "Sportsman Mfg. CO Denver, CO", M/N 600K, S/N 468502048BK. It has a variable ratio centrifugal belt clutch followed by two stages of reduction using chain. The brake is a strap type using a v-belt pulley and v-shaped fiction material. Can anyone offer any history on the manufacturer? Any related comments are appreciated in advance! :clap:

I picked this up as a gift for my son. The owner used it for pulling fence wire when installing new fences. The name tag says "Sportsman Mfg. CO Denver, CO", M/N 600K, S/N 468502048BK. It has a variable ratio centrifugal belt clutch followed by two stages of reduction using chain. The brake is a strap type using a v-belt pulley and v-shaped fiction material. Can anyone offer any history on the manufacturer? Any related comments are appreciated in advance! :clap:

Great looking bike and welcome!!!

Its a Tote Gote. Just do a search. Theres quite a bit of info on them. Also a google search will yeild several sites that have some good documentation as far as models.

TomH

I picked this up as a gift for my son. The owner used it for pulling fence wire when installing new fences. The name tag says "Sportsman Mfg. CO Denver, CO", M/N 600K, S/N 468502048BK. It has a variable ratio centrifugal belt clutch followed by two stages of reduction using chain. The brake is a strap type using a v-belt pulley and v-shaped fiction material. Can anyone offer any history on the manufacturer? Any related comments are appreciated in advance!

Hmm there it is, read it for yourself. You all seem to be more interested in other things than helping a new member..to each his own I guess

Can you read ?

Strictly US Vintage Nothing new. Nothing imported. 6" Wheels or smaller. If it doesn't fit within these guidelines, post it in general.

Look at the top of the page
I am using a iPhone via Tapatalk app, this is what I see. I was just curious on where this rule was.

I appreciate your concern with my reading skills!

C'mon, his first post, he has a cool ol mini, it IS vintage with a neat history I would like to hear about. Check this out sir if you are interested in knowing more about your Tote Goat and similar models.

http://users.infoconex.com/~ramrod/tgland.htm
Thx Tom. I'm seeing that a Tote Gote is made in Provo, UT. This sticker says Denver, CO. Plus the frame is a bit different - especially at the rear of the seat. I'm thinking it's something different...:smile:

Guys: Sorry for missing the 6" limit and posting this incorrectly. You got me. I'm sorry. Please forgive me. I was wrong. (Maybe a moderator can move the posting.)

I challenge you all to continue to help me identify this.

Mac

Guys: Sorry for missing the 6" limit and posting this incorrectly. You got me. I'm sorry. Please forgive me. I was wrong. (Maybe a moderator can move the posting.)

I challenge you all to continue to help me identify this.
....No reason to be sorry.
Hang around, you'll get your answers.

TomH

That site I gave you has more models of "Trail Scooters" and a forum. But probably there is some one on this site that knows that bike. This place is amazing the knowledge in the archives. Try out the search function. I would type in the mfg name first and see what you get. Tote Gote would be second search.

TomH

I googled Sportsman mfg. Came back sheetmetal fabricating in Commerce City, CO. Burb of Denver.

5495 E 69th Ave., Commerce City, CO 80022-1952, United States
(303)287-2125, (303)287-0109 fax,

Primary SIC: Industrial Machinery, Not Elsewhere Classified, Primary NAICS: Other Commercial and Service Industry Machinery Manufacturing
Description: Manufacturing: Industrial machinery, nec, nsk

They might know something if nothing turns up

Your information is correct. Your sportsman looks complete except for a belt. There were about 20 manufactures of trail bikes in the 60's and early 70's. From the 5 3/4hp Briggs I would guess it's around a '62 or '63. Thank you for posting your pics. You don't get to see good examples of these old bikes.