Misterious Counter Weight on Camshaft

Hi everyone. The following pictures of the camshaft from my 3.5 HP Tecumseh motor. Would someone explain to me what the counter/centrifugal weight is for. As the camshaft rotates the weight is pushed to the outside which pushes a pin. This pin sticks out of the bottom lobe of the exhaust valve.

pete108

Last edited:
Could be a compression release that barely opens the valve on the off stroke, then when running it lets the pin come back in. What model is your engine? I have a HS35, but I never have had the side off yet.

Last edited:
I was thinking it might be for compression release also, but this pin comes out only when the cam is spinning. For compression release shouldn't it be the opposite?

Hold the ger and turn the weight part the same direction as the cam would be spinning. if it lets off the pin, that would mean it would pull it in when the engine starts.

Looks like that's what it is.The weight will advance the same direction the cam turns and let off the pin. I know my 13 hp has one and it must be that type too. Not like the old manual stuff.