Mobility scooter help

BigA

Hello. I was directed here to see if something can be done. I get around in a Lark rear wheel drive scooter from waaaay back 1992. Electrics, knock on wood are still working. Thing I'm looking to do is the differential axle. (pictured) I dont feel its slipping but when I make turns you get one big click or small clicking while driving. Company is no longer and ive done a world wide search with no results on my end.

Here is the rear axle im working with.
scooter2.jpg

I found this potential replacement but looks to be a dead item
peerlessgear.com/node5379.aspx?nid=300841

Thoughts, ideas?

Thank you

BigA

the whole dif/axle.

trying to post link of the peerless dif and it wont let me. look on there site under dif. looks the same except sprocket.

Last edited:

Tink

Problem might be in you not being able to use scooter while it is being worked on.
Could be a variety of things but if your sure it's the differential ,time wise having one to swap out would be fastest probably with anything else that needs replaced. The other one could be tore down and inspected and may be reusable,or not.
You need to know the size and teeth count of any replaced sprocket too. Axle diameter and length ect.

100 Series Differential with 1" Diameter Axles

Custom Ergonomic Solutions Services and Parts | Electro Kinetic

Tink

Not insulting your diagnosis, a differential should run a long time, if not for the life of the power chair.Even rough housing it.
The chain or sprockets could transfer the click sound and be a pain to figure out.
Side to side play in a worn chain misalignment onto a sprocket.
Cracks in a frame can too. A loose fastener somewhere...

Last edited:
I've got about 12 of the peerless differential's some from the 70's and like Tink said they will run along time even with abuse my Dune Cycle is proof of that. But if your worried about a click or clicking get a radio and you wont hear it.

before exhausting yourself with a search youd be wize to tear it all down and clean inspect and re grease it. There isnt a whole lot that can go wrong its probrobly something simple. The problem could also be youre bearings or something with the chain as Tink said. In any case you may not find that exact part number anywhere but there are not much differences in the diffs if you get one withe the right size axles 3/4" probrobly. the only things youll need to think about is how the wheels attatch and if it has either the wide or narrow sprocket bolt pattern

Last edited:
So I should not be worried about it locking up or something more catastrophic? With it being so old there is no neutral on this thing.

fun story back in '05 went to a buddies wedding. I was having trouble with motor/brake on it over loading due to the brake being bad. Didnt know at the time. I had to go through another ballroom to get to his and I pushed it trying to get there and the fuse popped. Could figure out at that time what happened so I was stuck. He got the whole party and carried me and whole scooter to my table. And all i had to do at the time was pop the fuse on battery to get going again. Not fun getting carried. Havent had any problems since. Knock on wood.

I've had a peerless diff apart to remove a broken bolt and to clean it up and re-grease I and there is not much to go wrong. Id do like others have suggested and tear into it for inspection and replace any worn or busted parts, could be a bearing as suggested too so you will have to get it cracked open to see. Good luck on the thing, the Lark is a far more simple scooter than the later models with dual drive so it's worth repairing if it doesn't cost too much. Once fixed it will be as reliable as ever.

Thanks for all the replies. Had a few exchanges with a peerless rep. Hoping to track something down. If not I'll go with the tear it apart option.
This scooter has been very reliable. Hoping its something simple. Snapped another pic for the rep.

leftside.JPG