modded 212cc vs stock 420cc predator motors.. questions

Guys new to the forum I've searched but I just need some thoughts .... I use my mini bike for 100ft drags and has completely stock 212cc geared really good for 100ft I'd say it's maxed sperm is a little over a 100ft so when I raced it this year it was perfect won the 4th round against 15 other bikes that were slightly modded.

I was looking to buy the predator 420cc 13hp motor and swap the 212cc out(it will fit in my frame) but was thinking of buying the stage 3 kit from NR racing that says it'll give me around 11-14 depending on cam, carb and head work. Plus for missing the 212cc is it'll be lighter but don't know if it will compare hp/tq wise to the 420cc... I just need some thoughts on which direction.

Thanks guys for any thoughts

Here's my bike.

I would see if it even fits first. Seems like I remember it being quite a bit bigger. I don't know anything about the stage three kit. Is there anybody near you with a similar setup that you could test out?

no no one is as crazy as me lol the 420cc will fit with out the gas tank stock muffler and stock air box. and if it ended up not fitting id make it fit.

im just trying to see what would be the best thing because a new 420cc motor is $350 and id want to put an exhaust and air filter on it and modding the 212cc motor will be under that $350

Doesnt the 420 have a 1inch shaft? I think you would be better off modding the 212 because its basically universal on sny of your other motorized toys, when the 420 might be to big for your ither stuff

yes 1" shaft i seen some clutches for the 1" shaft but if i had to i can put it on my friends lathe and cut it down and this is my only little little toy ahah

vwfan79

Personally I would mod the 212, the right cam and head work and it can make lots of torque and with the short distance the lighter weight will come into play.

p.s. I have a predator head for sale, milled ported and polished. :D

yea thats what i was thinking the 420cc with all the crap on it weighs 73# and the 212cc weighs around 35ish# so i did consider that..

who ported the head you have ?

vwfan79

Now I do my own but this one was done by Stoney Creek motorsports (bought this before I started doing my own, used this one as a guide) head is milled .065

65ShelbyClone

Personally I would mod the 212, the right cam and head work and it can make lots of torque and with the short distance the lighter weight will come into play.
A stock 420 will still have more torque than any built 212. Honda 390s can put down 19hp and 26ft-lbs with a pipe and filter, more with a carb. That is a lot to ask of a 212 and the 420 has more displacement which means it responds even better to mods.

it would be tight but im 95% sure it will fit if it didnt i was going to cut the rear tubes and stretch them instead of a wheelie bar

if you take the stock muffler and air box off as the bike sits it has alot of room and if i put the 420cc in id move the motor forward all the way with no gas tank on it

Last edited:
I say go big or go home. For $350, you can buy a clone, put in a new rod, FW, and improve the carb and exhaust. To make it stupid fast you'll need head work, new valve train, cam, etc. that seems like you'll invest a lot more than $350. For $350, you can pick up the 420, and you'll have more room to go bigger when you want to invest more (and, let's face it, we all end up wanting more once we get used to what we have). What kind of Rpm's can you get out of a slightly modded 420? Most guys wont get more than 8000 out of a nicely modded 212 (for around $350). I know, some guys get more than that, but they proably invest more than $350. I don't know anything about the 420, so maybe you can't go much more than 8000 rpm's with a 420 for that money either, and then maybe look at the amount of torque you'll get out of each one at any given rpm range? Sounds like you'll have to look at some specs to make this call.

Well I had my stock 212 screaming at 5200 lol so I've decided just to get the 420cc and put NR racing's stage 1 kit on it. With the amount of power its gona make you just can't beat the torque it's gona have for a 100ft drag

Hello Quick01ss. I saw you at the races. that was a fast bike. I had the slime green bike and the black bike with white walls. (I was the guy trying to sell a bunch of stuff). Anyway, I have a duramax 16hp engine similar to the HF 420. Its 420cc and I put a pipe, filter and jet in it. I haven't started it yet (next years drags....) I can measure it top to bottom for you if that helps. Im looking for a frame to put it in, but I can tell you this, its wide! Jack Shaft is a probability, not really an option. Looking forward in seeing your build.

Sinner

Yea I remember seeing you lol I can't believe I've missed the other years going but on the motor Ive measured it thanks tho and I'm cutting the crank shaft down to 3/4" and trying to keep the chain as close to the motor as possible.... I had a side by side at HF and it eats the 212 lol. Can't wait fir this year I think they're doing 2 races

Last edited: