Montgomery wards tiller

Hey guys........im looking for a 5 hp motor and this tiller is for sale.....cheap i think....guy doesnt know what kind of motor.......and im new to this........any help would be appreciated....:shrug:

thanks trailbronc........i thought it mite be a briggs...and i gotta ask a stupid question.....is it a flathead? and what is so special about a flathead.......:shrug:

Looks like it has reverse, which means you'll have to cut the end off the cam flush with the case or get a cam and side cover. Cut off flush is easier.

thank you for your input jimh......perhaps its more than i can tackle and should leave that one alone....gotta luv them et boys..........:wink:

guess i will have to at least check it out.....cutting the cam...guess i will do some searching for info on that.......unless that east texas guy will make it easy and do some show and tell.........hmmmmmmm could i be so lucky?:doah::scared:

guess i will have to at least check it out.....cutting the cam...guess i will do some searching for info on that.......unless that east texas guy will make it easy and do some show and tell.........hmmmmmmm could i be so lucky?:doah::scared:
There's at least one thread on how to remove the cam, but worry about that if it actually has one, can't tell?

Just run the motor and let the hack saw cut it off itself, self mutilation!

A magnetron coil (part # 397358) wil get rid of points ignition. A carb to tank gasket is a couple of bucks and the little pump diaphragm is less than two bucks. The way I remove the end of the cam is fire it up and lay the hacksaw on with a little pressure, and in less than 20 seconds it's gone. A sawzall or hacksaw with the engine not running is probably safer.

thanks jim........and neck its listed for a 100 but is negotible....and dont leave me here guys.....but just a little info on flatheads.....what is so special about them?

im convinced. i need simple.....will let you guys know when its in the back of my truck.....and thank all of you for your response......im gathering parts for future projects....:drinkup::scooter:

Neck

Growing up is optional
It's an early 5 horse, you can tell by the recoil starter housing. I'm curious as to what the numbers on the shroud are.