MTD Completed

Well, it's finally done. I'm still not sure if I like the fenders on it or not. I'm open to opinions either way. Also, thanks to all those who provided answers or suggestion. This forum is great...thanks!
I only posted a few photos on here. The rest are on my album if anyone is interested.

kbs8ball

Looks real nice, however the seat has to go. put a nice seat on it with some red in it and then itll be sweet. The biggest thing other than the motor bolted to a mini frame is the seat. no offense but that one looks like it came of some weight bench. Youd be surprised at the LOOK and comfort level of a nice seat.:thumbsup:
FWIW my first mini had the same type of seat on it.:lol:

Love the bars. :thumbsup: How well does the Tav work that close the the jack shaft? Is it noisy or anything with that small of chain? I have a few bikes that are going to be that close and wasn't sure weather to use the JS or not.

Looks real nice, however the seat has to go. put a nice seat on it with some red in it and then itll be sweet. The biggest thing other than the motor bolted to a mini frame is the seat. no offense but that one looks like it came of some weight bench. Youd be surprised at the LOOK and comfort level of a nice seat.:thumbsup:
FWIW my first mini had the same type of seat on it.:lol:
I wanted a flat seat. I like the streamlined look vs. the raised back.
I'm taking the bike to an old engines show I exhibit at next week.
If my butt tells me I need a seat, I'll certainly look you up.
How much for flat style seat with red piping?
PM please...

Love the bars. :thumbsup: How well does the Tav work that close the the jack shaft? Is it noisy or anything with that small of chain? I have a few bikes that are going to be that close and wasn't sure weather to use the JS or not.
The TAV works great. I don't know how good the newer centrifical clutches are, but I'm sold on the TAV.
The bike originally had the same jackshaft set-up on it with a H40 Tec. Surprisingly, it's not noisy at all. I'm anal about making sure the sprockets are lined up, so I think that helps as well. I wouldn't hesitate to use the jackshaft set-up, you won't regret it. The bars were pretty easy to make. I would have stuck with the original bars if the chrome on them was good. I do like the drag style bars.

Thanks for the compliment. If you need any better photos of the jackshaft set-up, let me know.

fonz

Please excuse my ignorance, but I have to ask. Is the jack shaft changing the gear ratio at all, or are you using it just to get the drive unit to the right side of the bike?

The gear closest to the TAV is a 12 tooth. The gear that drives the rear sprocket is an 11 tooth and the final sprocket is a 40 tooth. So the answer is yes, the jackshaft does change the gear ratio.

Looks cool dude:thumbsup:I'm working on MTD Trailflight myself.It will be in the project section soon.Nice job.Myself I like the chrome fenders.:scooter:

1. The handlebars look great! I would love to do something like those on my mini. Are the comfortable while riding?

2. IMHO, get rid of the fenders. I don't like fenders on most bikes, and on yours, the chrome really detracts from the overall coolness of your mini.

3. Your current seat looks like you got everything else killer looking and then gave-up on the seat. Have Kenny make you a seat or make your own. I hate the big 'ol cender-blaock looking seats, so I had Kenny make me a seat that's only about 2" thick in the front and has a very slight rake towards the rear. It's still comfortable to ride on. I think a black seat with red piping would make your bike look much better.

Please don't misunderstand me, your bike looks REALLY nice. I just think a few different things would put it over the top...

GJ,
The bars are very comfortable. My original plan was a straight drag bar with very little to no rise. After thinking it through with having to ride hunched over, I though my back would hurt like hell so I wound up with what you see.
I agree with you on the fenders. Out of everything, including the seat, the fenders are probably my least favorite.
The seat I made because at the time I was looking at buying a seat and only knew about the commerically produced ones available at MFG, BMI, etc.
I was trying to go after the drag bike look and didn't like the riser on the back of the commerical seats. Now that I know about Kenny, I'll probably have a seat made.

I don't mind opinions. I posted the pics up here and was hoping that you guys would give me an honest opinion.
Thanks.

Kenny1

Very cool ride. Im with jammer..the fenders have to go. The chrome isnt right for the bike. The handlebars couldn't be any cooler. I like the flat seats also...but some red piping would look real sharp. Great job!!

IMHO your seat has a spartan look to it. I like it. If your butt can handle it, don't change it. As far as fenders who wants sand and mud thrown up into their face. You did a very fine job and built it the way you wanted it. Remember what they say about opinions "They are like a** holes, and everyone has one." Nice work, I would ride it with pride.

The seat has a spartan look to it. I like it! As for fenders, who wants sand and mud thrown up into their face. In my opinion riding without fenders is akin to riding without a helmet. You did a fine job and I would be proud to ride your bike. Remember, "Opinions are like a** holes, everybody has one." and "To thine own self be true."

The fenders are fine! I have a few bikes without and they can get trashed with dirt. I'd leave them be. :thumbsup:
I have to agree with you. I really don't want to sandblast the paint or engine with small stones from the road.
I plan on building another bike over the winter, and that one with be without fenders.