MTD Trail Flight question

Im only asking how to identify because im about to purchase another MTD but want to know how to be able to tell whats what as far as what years they used the metal side cover versus the plastic one... did they use the same torque unit for all models etc. etc. The doodle page is great but it doesnt seem to be complete.

Thank you. I have looked at your article and its pretty cool and has great info. So looking at that is my model number a 363 - 200??? Also the engine on it is a Tecumseh H35-45355H serial looks like 30450 the 4th number isnt stamped as hard as the others. Is that the correct engine??? I saw where you said all MTD's were 4 or 5 hp motors. And sorry for all the questions. As I said im looking at picking up another one but it needs a couple things. I know when I bought the one I have the guy said more people offered to buy just the cover upon reading all the posts it looks like the metal covers are hard to find. when did they switch to plastic ones??? Appreciate all you help.

cfh

MTD only used metal covers to my knowledge. perhaps that post was talking about the new generic TAV covers, which are readily available and plastic. but there was two metal MTD varieties, thin and thick.

markus

This stuff is from an earlier brochure but the 200 model is the 3.5hp version, is yours hardtail (no rear shocks)? I think the 363 part of the model number has to do with either year, revision of the model, or maybe even who maybe offered it. so you see that first number different depending on that.....for instance this 1970/71 pictured below is a 640-200 and it was blue at the time. mtd2 (3).jpg mtd7 (2).jpg

This is what im working with. They put home made handle bars on it. I did buy the set off ebay for it. Ive been told the wrong carb is on so I did get another engine with correct carb. Engine on it is an H35 I did get a Sears branded tecumseh and if the carb on it doesnt work im going to try the other one.