My 71 Ruttman Horny Toad

Addicted 2 Minis

Just getting around to cleaning up the old Toad. I bought it as a roller some time ago and it’s been gathering dust in the garage since. Last winter a raccoon was in the rafters right above it and I don’t know what happened but somehow it exploded and nasty green stuff was all over the bike. The best way to describe the green stuff is it looked like battery corrosion. I know it was from the raccoon because I found him/her dead not far from the bike along with more of the green stuff. I’m not going for a full blown restoration as I feel it would be better to just give it what I call a rustoraton (scrub clean and keep the patina). I will be taking the whole bike down, engine and all and scrubbing all the gunk off every part, nut and bolt without getting things too shiny. So far I have cleaned the frame, forks, throttle, brake lever, sprocket, wheels and all the nuts and bolts that hold it all together. I’ll probably have at least twice the time in building it as everything has to come off get cleaned and put back together rather than just pull and replace. As for the power plant, I’ll be using one of the 3 engines I got for an extra $200 when I bought the orange Toad a little over 2 years ago. It’s a 1971 Tecumseh H30 from a mini bike at least, not some side popper edger motor. I have the carb and muffler for it but I left it at the other house. I’ll be using a corner fill tank that I’ve already cleaned up. I’m not sure if the H30 on a Toad is supposed to get the center fill tank or the corner fill as I’ve seen them one way in the brochures and the other on original survivors. I don’t really care about total originality but I want to get it close to being correct, anyhow, here’s my progress thus far.

D5581F6E-4A66-4756-91C1-D6D78CE01E67.jpeg
1222C3EA-98D4-4427-991B-EF079502D341.jpeg
9DD550A0-1DE9-4AE9-997F-EAC9652026C5.jpeg

Last edited:

Addicted 2 Minis

My memory is fuzzy too but if I remember correctly, you were looking to get your old one back a while ago. I think the last time they used 5" wheels was in 71/72 on the "Goose". Everything after 72 got 6" mags. I just picked up this 73 "Horny Toad" from a guy named Patrick that has the 6" mags. There's a lot of controversy over this ad because the "Horny Toad" was supposed to have 4" wheels but the proof is in the DATED picture. That's the model 140 "Horny Toad" on the lower left. They did away with the "Vulture" all together and the "Wild Goose" took it's place.

IMG_01.JPG
72 Ruttman Poster.jpeg Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 12.22.26 PM.png

GustoGuy

My memory is fuzzy too but if I remember correctly, you were looking to get your old one back a while ago. I think the last time they used 5" wheels was in 71/72 on the "Goose". Everything after 72 got 6" mags. I just picked up this 73 "Horny Toad" from a guy named Patrick that has the 6" mags. There's a lot of controversy over this ad because the "Horny Toad" was supposed to have 4" wheels but the proof is in the DATED picture. That's the model 140 "Horny Toad" on the lower left. They did away with the "Vulture" all together and the "Wild Goose" took it's place.

View attachment 297899
View attachment 297900 View attachment 297901

The advertising approach back then was to market the same bike under different names evidently and to put a deluxe seat on one of them . The pictures and the specs are the same other than the seat.

Addicted 2 Minis

The advertising approach back then was to market the same bike under different names evidently and to put a deluxe seat on one of them . The pictures and the specs are the same other than the seat.
Pretty much, mini bike sales were falling and with big companies like Honda jumping in on the band wagon, selling bikes at cost to squash the market didn't help. Smaller companies were struggling to save money and still stay in business so they went the "Generic" route as I would call it. Make fewer frames, one color with minimal options to set them apart. Lee Iacocca did the same for Chrysler in the early 80's, every car had the same basic chassis and drivetrain just different body panels. If it wasn't for his "Generic" route, Chrysler would have went under. Prior to 72, Ruttman had the "Horny Toad", "Vulture", "Goose", "Spyder" and "Grasshopper". The "Horny Toad" and "Vulture" were essentially the same bike, both with 4" wheels but the "Vulture" had fenders and a longer seat. The "Goose" was a different bike all together, utilizing a longer frame and 5" wheels, the only bike in Ruttman's lineup with 5" wheels. The "Spyder" was their big seller with 6" 5-spoke wheels with front suspension forks and lot's of shiny stuff. The "Grasshopper" was their chopper and in a league of it's own and doesn't need to be addressed. They eliminated the one bike that was different than the rest of the flock, the "Vulture" and separated the "Horny Toad" and "Wild Goose" in the same manner, longer seat and fenders. The "Spyder" and "Grasshopper" remained the same basically but by eliminating the "Vulture" and making them all the same color saved time and money and condensed their lineup.

PatrickCraik

View attachment 297899
View attachment 297900 View attachment 297901
Well, I might find it yet. I was told the guy I sold to lives again @ his parents old place. Need to stop over one day. I know for certain it was NEW, orange, had a 3-1/2 HP Tec. and I bought it in 1974. I was told by an expert ( a guy about 10 years my junior,lol ) orange wasn't available that year. So, maybe mine was old stock? I really don't think it had 6" wheels but who knows? I was 14 and now nearly 63. We'll
see. Love your latest find. Have fun!!

Last edited: