My first Doodle

Scored my first mini on craigslist this week. Bought it for $50. The ad said it needed a new carb and new tire. Sounded like an easy fix. I brought it home and dismantled the carb. Cleaned all the jets, checked the float, etc. I could see immediately why the guy said it would need a new carb. He had evidently lost the plug in the bowl, so he fitted a bolt in their (wrong size, wrong thread pattern) and tried to seal it with expandable foam! Ha!

I was able to get it running, but it still runs pretty rough. Gas pours out of the carb. The lever to the shutoff valve is broken, so there might be an issue there, or the float could have been stuck. Since it's so beat up, I want to put a new carb on it. Eventually I'll stick the 212 on there, but that will be another thread. I can't wait to start it. I've got a 196 clone on a kart with 14cc head, bored carb, billet rod and FW, flattop piston, etc. I hope to do something like this for the Doodle, but we'll see.

So I know that everyone hates the stock doodle motor. That's fine, I can see why. However, I want to get this one going for my son before I make it stupid fast. He's six. I don't need it going stupid fast. Since everyone hates this engine, and many of you have tossed the old motor, does anyone have an old carb that they'd donate to my cause? I'm not above paying a little, and I'll cover the shipping. I just need something to get it going for my son. I can't see spending $30 on a new one. I'd rather put that toward the 212 predator I plan on buying.

I've been lurking on this site daily, and scoping out craigslist multiple times a day. I had to be patient, but it payed off. I can't wait to tell share with you the adventures I will have with my boys!

50 bucks!? Nice find!
I know. Most of the ones for sale around here are going for around $200. I really wanted an older style doodle, but I sprung for it because it was a good deal. I like to think that I'm very patient when shopping for my projects, but in reality, I'm just a real cheap :censure:.

Nice DB30 especially for $50.

I got a new style cheap too, but paid a little more than $50. It was missing some parts off the engine (fuel tank, blower housing, flywheel was broken). Guy took it to a shop to have worked on and didn't get all the parts back.

I don't have any carbs I want to sell cheap, but I see them from time to time for sale on this forum. Put in a wanted ad, I bet someone will have one. Unfortunately, a new one is approx $40 shipped.

I actually like the 97cc engines. I have really enjoyed tweaking them to run better. Do a search, there is a fair amount of info on how to make 97cc run better.

IJG

Nice ''

When my mini bike takes me riding for just 30 minutes'
I know I got my 50.00 bucks worth.
I paid $50.00 for the red doodlebug. It was in need of very little carburetor cleaning. 180.00 for The Motovox. It was missing the number plate and has a 4 day leak in the rear tire.
You Got A Good Score Man :thumbsup:

Motor is off. I've got a Briggs flatty that is set up for alky, bad I tried to stick it on there just for fun. The rear fender mount got in the way. I've seen guys cut those off, but I'm not gonna do that. I don't really want the flathead on there anyway. I'll stick it back on the work bench. I'm more of an OHC guy anyway. Gonna go with a clone or an animal.