My MB165 Kinda Build Thread

Cool setup, way outta my pay scale. Mine is the typical DIY pegboard hooked to a couple of shop vacs to start vacuum and then a vacuum pump to finish. Heat my plastic in the homemade oven I use to cure powdercoating. I haven't touched it in years but used to make gauge pods and small odd and ends as my size is limited to 1.5x1.5 feet.

I'm the weirdo that likes the smell of resin, and fiberglass doesn't make me itch like normal people.

Cool setup, way outta my pay scale. Mine is the typical DIY pegboard hooked to a couple of shop vacs to start vacuum and then a vacuum pump to finish. Heat my plastic in the homemade oven I use to cure powdercoating. I haven't touched it in years but used to make gauge pods and small odd and ends as my size is limited to 1.5x1.5 feet.

I'm the weirdo that likes the smell of resin, and fiberglass doesn't make me itch like normal people.
I was going to build one like you have but my wife found this one about 6 hours from the house for a reasonable price.
So a road trip it was!
I did make the base an added a bigger tank.

How does the powder coating turn out?

Last edited:
The oven works pretty good, crude as all out, lol. It's built out of some insulated panels I got that are 2 inches thick with metal skin. They screw together with just long decking screws. For the heat I mounted 2 normal household oven elements. I have a total of I think a few bucks of screws in. The panels was some waste I picked up on construction sites and the elements came out of ovens I was replacing and the owner wanted me to haul off.

The gun is an cheap eastwoods I picked up used. You just have to get good powder for it. It came with a can of the eastwoods black but I couldn't ever get it to lay down smooth and always had ripples in it. Might have been me, the powder, or something else but once I changed brands everything came out fine.

The oven works pretty good, crude as all out, lol. It's built out of some insulated panels I got that are 2 inches thick with metal skin. They screw together with just long decking screws. For the heat I mounted 2 normal household oven elements. I have a total of I think a few bucks of screws in. The panels was some waste I picked up on construction sites and the elements came out of ovens I was replacing and the owner wanted me to haul off.

The gun is an cheap eastwoods I picked up used. You just have to get good powder for it. It came with a can of the eastwoods black but I couldn't ever get it to lay down smooth and always had ripples in it. Might have been me, the powder, or something else but once I changed brands everything came out fine.
Thanks for the info.
Got a rectifier and am adding lights. Should have a pic up in a few days