My (new to me) MT-A2 Pocket Bike

Addicted 2 Minis

I have and have had quite a few motorcycles and tons of mini bikes but I've never had a pocket bike. I was at a friend of my buddies house a while back and he had this old pocket bike just sitting on his bench. I told him if he ever wanted to get rid of it, just give me a holler. Well, he gave me a holler yesterday and I went to pick it up. I rode it around his yard for a bit but couldn't really open it up so we took it to our high school parking lot for a top speed run. After warming it up, I made a few passes to find the top speed was 25.9 mph. I was kind of disappointed, I thought it would do at least 30 mph. I'm fairly certain it has the stock gearing, 6 tooth front and 68 tooth rear and it has plenty of "pep" to pull all of my 5'-9" 165 lb. body around without any hesitation but I wanted more. When I got home, I pulled out my new 47cc engine and my 49cc big bore kit I had purchased previously just in case such an occasion occurred. Two hours later, I had the big bore kit installed and two hours after that, my mess was cleaned up and it was ready to go. Today I went and bought some new fuel line and a fuel filter for it, cleaned out the tank, filled her up with some VP racing pre-mix and proceeded with the break-in. I could barely pull it over without yanking it off the stand it has so much compression now. After breaking it in a bit, I decided to take it slowly down the road for a little load test. I was doing about 10 mph when I decided to just give it a little goose, much to my surprise, the front wheel started to come up and instantly a smile appeared on my face. The difference is like night and day and I can't wait to see what, if any, speed gains are achieved. I'm going to keep the same gearing for now for comparison but plan to change it in the near future. Once I get it geared to where it doesn't pull the front wheel off the ground will be perfect for most riding. Here's some pictures of the bike, big bore kit and semi-final product, I have the rest of the bodywork, just don't know if I'm going to install it or keep the cafe look.

MTA2_01.jpg
MTA2_02.jpg
MTA2_03.jpg

Addicted 2 Minis

Aw It's cute. It would fit in my sattle bag for a spare if the big bike ever broke, but that's never going to happen.
My wife keeps noticing me sitting on the couch in a dazed stare like state and asks "What are you doing?", I tell her "Oh just day dreaming of that little bike, it's so blooming cute!". Surprisingly it comes in at 65 lbs., after installing the big bore kit, it has to making around 6.5 hp. thus giving it a 1:10 hp/weight ratio. I don't think I'll see that much of a speed difference with the same gearing as it didn't have any problems getting up to speed on the stock setup, same RPM with same gearing = same speed. With the extra power, I can start gearing it for speed without it bogging down. I'm not going all out for speed, I want a balance to where I don't need a mile for it to get up to top speed but also don't want it pulling the wheel up while coming out of the corners. Right now it's running a 11.3:1 ratio, next move is a 10:1 and see where that gets me.

Addicted 2 Minis

The weather was beautiful today so I figured I'd get some play time in between sandblasting parts. When I pulled the beast out of the truck and went to start it, the pull cord broke. I fixed the pull cord and got'er going and made some speed runs, as expected I only got a 2 mph gain with the stock gearing. Later, I was just buzzing up and down the road when the exhaust pipe broke, apparently it was cracked a while ago and finally gave up. I was going to order a 60T rear sprocket for a 10:1 ratio but I think I'll just get a 7T front sprocket for a 9.71:1 ratio. This thing pulls like a freight train and didn't lose any RPM going up the hill on my Dad's road so dropping nearly 2 points on the gear ratio shouldn't be a problem.