My TAV-2 keeps trying to kill me

So.......I built a baja/predator combo with all the same junk on it everyone has(i.e. stage 1 kit, bsp3 cam, 18cc head , etc...) and i put a tav-2 torque converter on it. Love the low-end it gives me. However, I keep having this problem.... It keeps launching the driver unit up through the side cover and past my face while at high RPM! Its happened three times now. Usually while Im going up a steep hill. And this time, since the side cover was already gone from the last time, all the parts of the front driven unit flew in 10 different ways, and are history. Ive gotta order a new one now.
It was installed correctly. Working perfectly. I used a loc washer and loc-tite. I made a spacer out of 3/4" keyway stock so it fit snug. The output shaft threads are good. What else could it be?!? Any ideas?

I dont have any of when it was all together. I could take one of it now, as it sits up on the bench, but Like I said, this last launching was without the benefit of any side cover, so I dont have the driver pulley assembly on there anymore. I never was able to find all of it....
Im going to have to order another....

It was a total standard install. Nothing fancy. I had the "predator washer" to shim it out, and the output shaft spacer, and it was straight as an arrow. Rolled totally smooth and easy. Worked great. It just would randomly decide to fly apart.

What do you mean by side cover? Is the metal cover for the driver falling off exposing the internal spring weight set up? If so u need a washer big enough to keep it from coming off on the end of the crankshaft.

The plastic basket-looking side cover that keeps your pants leg out of the belt and fails horribly as a scatter-shield. The problem is that the bolt that goes thru the middle and holds it all together will suddenly break loose and back itself out and send the whole assembly flying.

The plastic basket-looking side cover that keeps your pants leg out of the belt and fails horribly as a scatter-shield. The problem is that the bolt that goes thru the middle and holds it all together will suddenly break loose and back itself out and send the whole assembly flying.
You already know what the problem is, now it's time to fix it. You have a lot or unbalanced mass vibrating at the end of the crank shaft. That's just bad for business. But it comes with the territory.

My suggestion is to upgrade the bolt to grade 8 or 10 if your snapping it. Next get a get a MACHINED 3/4" spacer made. Don't cheap out on the spacer, and use at least a 1/8th thick by 1.5" round washer to hold it all together with a industrial grade spit washer.

Sent from my Fischer price Speak and Spell

Last edited:
This may sound silly but make sure you have the "spline" (what ever its called) like the center bushing, facing the correct way so the cover locks on. I was messing with mine the other day and just happen to notice how the ends are a tiny bit different so the cover sits on properly and you can tighten the bolt. I bet that's it.:thumbsup:

ive had my tav come off a greyhound clone 2x now. the first bolt stretched and let the driver come apart enough to get stuck in high gear. then it broke off in the crank, first time i got a bolt out with the easy out without problem.

second bolt, grade 8, loosened itself a little too, but this time i pulled the bolt out the threads on the bolt looked toast, too many shavings in the crank see internal threads. got pissed and walked away...

now im thinking about welding a bolt to the end and putting a locknut on it.....