need help plz

Hello fellas im a first time poster on here and i hope u guys can help me. I got this free mini in rock island ill and it idles (kinda) and when u give it gas it dies. it only has one screw on the carb and its for the throttle stop there is no choke. and when u hold it wide open and pull it gas and exhaust comes out of the carb (no air filter came with it). i pulled the head and there was some oil on the piston so i believe the rings are toast. i need help identifying the motor so i can find some parts and a better carb or something any help would be AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! i posted a few picks go to members and click L its the green one freemini1 2 3 4

Dane

It's a Bird.... Engine looks like a 2 1/2 -3 1/2 tecumseh. Numbers may be stamped on the top of the blower housing, or maybe a tag somewhere.

Hey LilGreen

Cool minibike! Sounds like you have the newer style non adjustable carb. Get a new carb first and try it out. Also it sounds like you timing is off. Where is Rock Island at? I live in lockport, just outside Joliet. If your close you can bring it by and ill help fix it for you. If you need parts, www.ruppparts.com Brandt is a good guy and will have everything you need for your engine.

Josh

I found out its a tecumsehpower not known. i live in geneseo its exit 19 on itnerstate 80 near the quad cities like rock island moline, davenport, bettondorf its the illinois iowa border. there was a phone number under the seat so i called it (hoping it wasnt stolen concidering i got it for free) and he said that his son ust to make them... i have a 5 hp wood chipper my boss gave me and i got that running tonight i was trying to pull the thing that chips the wood and broke a bolt oops.. im thinking about putting an 8 hp motor my buddy has layin around.:thumbsup: i also pulled the head on the mini and there is oil on top of the piston im gonna find out how much a set of rings are,or just see if the 5 will work ill post more this weekend when my dad is home. thanks fellas

Dane

It actually looks kinda cool with those bars.

Did you ever try starter fluid to see if it was a gas feed problem?

I would have cleaned the carb frist, on the bottom of the float bowl is a nut, take that out and clean the hole in the side then find a tinny hole on above it and take a thin piece of speaker wire (copper) and clean that out too. Make sure you look where the float lines up with the indent of the cup, indent should be on the gas line side. Clean everything, tinghten the nut hand tight the back it out a little each time while trying to start it (if leaking gas it's too loose or bad gasket/O-ring. I believe those holes have to line up just right on a non adjustable Tecumseh carb.

Clean the top of the piston, valves, and top of head but do scratch anything or let stuff get down in. Get a new head gasket too.

An 8HP might be a tight fit and shaft might be tapered and 1" so your clutch wont fit.

Good luck. :thumbsup: That was a damn good deal. :thumbsup:

Ive cleaned the carb twice. im pretty sure its getting gas if it spits out the carb. ive also cleaned off thepiston, head, and vales i believe the intake valve is not closing letting exhaust blow outwhen its wide open and ur pulling it. ill know a little more later in the day. and hell yeah it was a damn good deal im 18 and love motorcycles/dirkbikes when i saw that thing i was the happiest person ever!!!!!!!!!!!!! its gonna ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i need to fing out what horse it is is there any way of doing that??? where would i look for numbers??? thanks and i appreciate it alot!!!

Dane

The model # of your engine should be stamped on the top of your flywheel cover near where the spark plug wire comes out. Or it may have a plate riveted or a sticker. HS30=3hp HS35= 3 1/2hp HS40=4hp

His engine should have riveted on ID tag at right front of blower housing. Engine is a Tecumseh H22(2 1/4hp), H25 (2.5hp), H30 (3hp) or H35 (3.5hp)

spitting fuel and vapor from carb can be several things. Bad/dirty carb, bad ignition coil, bad points,fouled spark plug or worse case and least likely leaking valve.

The fuel line has to run level, it cant be run higher than your gas tank or carb will starve for fuel. With the front mounted gas tank, fuel line should run between the blower housing and engine block or through the blower housing straight back to the carb

guyw

Maybe it's just me that works on old rusty greasy junk....but I find on these flattys that the valves are often poorly sealed...usually from carbon.

I used to chase these simple carbs around, looking for mystical faults, but after fixing a couple of non-runners via valve lapping, I've adopted that as investigation #2, right after simple carb cleaning as #1.

I reuse head gaskets as a matter of course, too....and without any headgasket sealer...

YMMV