Need help with my first mod

I just got that first DB30 with the predator 212 I posted last week, and I want to start doing some mods. I really love all the headers that I see people ordering and putting on. Is this a fairly easy mod for a beginner? I'm totally new to minis, so I don't want to get in over my head.

Do I simply remove the two bolts, put a new gasket on, and attach the new one? Is there anything else to it? It just seems way too easy, which makes me think I'm missing something big!

Also, I've been looking at some from NR racing. Any other good headers out there that you'd recommend instead?

Hey G-pop

The best thing to do is to start doing lol

Take stuff apart carefully and methodically , even take pictures as you go

Get your hands dirty

Hey G-pop

The best thing to do is to start doing lol

Take stuff apart carefully and methodically , even take pictures as you go

Get your hands dirty
That's exactly what I intend to do!!! But... I don't want to put the bike out of commission for a long time because I get it apart and find out I didn't order a vital part.

Know what I mean?

So for a header, do you need to do anything other than take off the old exhaust, replace the gasket, and attach the new header with 2 bolts? Is it that simple??

trinik7597

just the two bolts to change the header gavin . but if you open up the exhaust you should do a new air filter and adapter and rejet the carb

just the two bolts to change the header gavin . but if you open up the exhaust you should do a new air filter and adapter and rejet the carb

Awesome! This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. NOW...

Is there anyone who is willing to explain why? I want to teach my son all of this stuff. These are the things I struggle with. I can figure out how to do the mods, its understanding their purpose that's throwing me.

For example, I've looked up how to do the carb now. But why is it advised that you do all three mods at the same time?

Anyone?

Last edited:
I was just going to do a header but I went ahead and ordered the air filter and carb jets too. It's cheap insurance.
Why is changing the air filter and carb jets necessary? What would happen if I didn't change them? I'm just trying to understand WHY I'm doing these steps so I can teach my son. So sorry for all the questions. Thanks!

The simplest explanation of an engine is that it draws in air mixes it with fuel explodes/burns in the cyl (producing power) then expels exhaust out the pipe

It is all a balance , if you want more burn/power then you need more air (low restriction filter) to mix with more fuel (bigger jet) and then to top it all off you need to get rid of it out the exhaust(low restriction header)

trinik7597

The simplest explanation of an engine is that it draws in air mixes it with fuel explodes/burns in the cyl (producing power) then expels exhaust out the pipe

It is all a balance , if you want more burn/power then you need more air (low restriction filter) to mix with more fuel (bigger jet) and then to top it all off you need to get rid of it out the exhaust(low restriction header)
exactly if you add more air you need to add more fuel and expel it quicker :thumbsup: better flow

Now THAT I understand. That's kind of along the lines I was thinking, but wasn't quite sure. Thanks so much for clearing that up! Now me and my son have 3 mods to do! Sweet!

exactly if you add more air you need to add more fuel and expel it quicker :thumbsup: better flow
Thanks so much for the response. I'm so happy this site exists. It's been a life saver.

You can buy the kit, or put it together yourself. There are some parts that work better in certain setups, so a kit isn't a bad idea for a beginner. You'll end up spending more on shipping if you buy parts from several different venders, so piecing it together isn't always as cheap as it seems. You'll feel the biggest gains when you open up the carb and add a cam. There are other mods recommended when doing this, so a kit might make the ordering easier for you.