need info on my Skat kitty

capguncowboy

That's total garbage and should be put in the trash. What's your address? I'll come pick it up to dispose of it properly :deal:

That's a really nice survivor! I'm no Skat Kitty expert, but I really like those bikes!

Hi Tom and congrats on finding your new Kitty.A lot of the bike looks original--throttle cable passes thru the handle bars. Your bike had the lighting option--headlight, taillight and a battery box which mounted under the cross bar and powered the lights.Gas tank looks original and from what I can see the engine may be original.The engine that came with the bike was a Tech 2.5hp side popper. The engine will be date coded and you can look it up--if it is original it should be early 60s. Your jackshaft assembly is molded into the frame and later models had them bolted on so the whole unit could be removed.I am not sure of how the numbering system worked. I have 3 Skat Kittys --#551, 1045 and my first one starts with SK as yours does but can't get at the number to see it.The handlebars and neck came off a Schwinn Orange Crate Chopper bicycle and can still be found on Ebay along with bearings if needed.The neck had a key that fit over the nut so you could easily remove the bars to transport in a car. There is a bracket that is bolted to the frame top bar( holes should be there which is used to hang the handle bars on when they are removed. On some models also on the cross bar situated over top of the spark plug was a button that when depressed pushed a metal piece onto the plug to ground out and shut the motor off. The exhaust and side cover(aluminum) look original and are reproduced today--(side cover in fiberglass). Foot pegs are original and the drum brake lever also but you will see many different types in other pics of this bike. One of mine has the rod like yours while the others have a round disc welded on the rod. These are changes made by the factory.Wheels are original but tires may have been changed. Most I have seen have a ribbed tire in front and a knobby on the back but it really doesn't matter all that much. The rear brake is an internal expanding brake with 2 shoes.
I think that about covers it--the engine code is your key to identifying the year. Oopps I just noticed what might be the kill button in front of the seat(seat is original--black with silver pipping). Lastly yours and none of mine had the hook up bolts for the side car which was also an option. Awhile back I found an original brochure for the bike on Ebay and it shows all the options.
Sorry for the MOTHER LOAD but would be interested in what you find and if I can help anymore just PM me--cheers.

markus

Looks like a later one with the 5" good years, Lighted 2.5 engine, larger lighting kit etc.. I'll take a stab at it being around 1969 but I would be interested to know the model number and date code on the engine. I would not doubt that they may have run that shroud into 1970 because a lighted small frame that could fit that shroud combination still (H35 or smaller head=smooth top and studs for recoil mount) was very uncommon, probably safe to say that SK was the only one ordering them at that time.

Is the headlight shell stamped PM711 or AP4600? If there is also an SAE stamping under that like M67, it will be 1967-up

Looks pretty dam complete :thumbsup: