need major help QUICK!!!

my friend has a 5.5 hp honda engine gokart that wouldnt start. it was a warm sunny day and we were both riding gokarts together. we go around the block 2 times and then we turn off the gokart and switch places. we ran for about 20 minuets and when we switched as usual, it wouldnt turn back on. we got really scared so we tried starting fluid. (btw, we both know how to start the engine when it is warm or cold). it still wouldnt start. it eventually got flooded and we let it set for 20 minuets and tried it again. we tried the next day and it still wouldent even try to start. we also checked the spark plug and it works fine. we checked the gas and oil, and they are both okay. what could be the problem? any help would grately be appreciated. if worst comes to worst, we will just take the engine off and take it to the lawnmower shop and get it fixed.

did you loose spark? take the cover off and check the flywheel and make sure it isnt rusted on the top were the magnet goes across. also if your not getting spark it could be the coil. and the one thing that gets alot of people if its a newer preasure washer honda like a GX 160 it has the OHV there is a breather tube that goes from the back of the air cleaner into the OHV so it can get freash air into it. if that hose came out of the OHV cover the motor will not start at all unless that tube or somthing to compasate for that tube is in there. also try cleaning the carb and change the plug just in case you never know. just because a plug looks good dosent mean it is. and the kill switch might be shorting out somwere. OR it is low on oil and the low oil sensore is on not allowing the motor to start unless there is more oil added. it is a safty feature on the hondas so the motors dont blow up. thats really all that could be wrong with it unless you have internal problems which i highly doubt but go through the list i just gave you and go from there i bet you it is one of those problems

there is a spark from the sparkplug(i actually took it out and there was spark)
there is no low oil sensor(but there is still alot of oil and it isnt too bad)
the spark plug was changed 5 days ago(lol)
the compression is good
there is no airfilter
it wont start with ether (starting fluid spray)

maddcarson

i made my own breather tube out of the tubing from the EPA box that was on the back. and my engine runs without it being hooked up to the air filter

no air filter??? ahh thats your problem buddy, your carb needs to be cleaned, luckily the hondas are real easy to do, no kit needed. pop the bowl off and pull the float pin and clean the needle and the needle hole, it was probably dirty. This is usually my only problem with the hondas, also it might help to set the valve lash, it makes these engines run much better. after your done put an airfilter on or atleast a panty hose over the hole so nothing too bad gets into the engine, if you get dirt in there it will wreck your cylinder wall and eventually blow your enbine up, also chane the oil more frequently then you would usually, the oil gets dirty quicker with no filter.

there is a spark from the sparkplug(i actually took it out and there was spark)
there is no low oil sensor(but there is still alot of oil and it isnt too bad)
the spark plug was changed 5 days ago(lol)
the compression is good
there is no airfilter
it wont start with ether (starting fluid spray)
No airfilter-:doah:-you dusted your motor:smile:=time to go to harbor freight:thefinger:

thats a weird one.. No air filter doesn't necessarily mean anything.. I run alot of them with none... The Suicycle has ram air and I hate to THINK the amount of rain, bugs, dirt, ROCKS it has eaten over the thousands of miles.. It's not good on them and will chew stuff up eating dirt, but it didn't just die instantly from it when you had to shut it off with the key.....

If it was running until you shut it off then engine it's not blown up.. If it has spark, compression, and STILL won't hit on either... You may have sheared your flywheel key and spun the flywheel so NOW it has spark and compression, BUT they are not at the same time.. :doah: It happens.. ESPECIALLY if ya get like a backfire when it dies or ya stop the wheel real fast when the engine is cranking...

thats a weird one.. No air filter doesn't necessarily mean anything.. I run alot of them with none... The Suicycle has ram air and I hate to THINK the amount of rain, bugs, dirt, ROCKS it has eaten over the thousands of miles.. It's not good on them and will chew stuff up eating dirt, but it didn't just die instantly from it when you had to shut it off with the key.....

If it was running until you shut it off then engine it's not blown up.. If it has spark, compression, and STILL won't hit on either... You may have sheared your flywheel key and spun the flywheel so NOW it has spark and compression, BUT they are not at the same time.. :doah: It happens.. ESPECIALLY if ya get like a backfire when it dies or ya stop the wheel real fast when the engine is cranking...
:thefinger:just plain stupid to run any engine without an air filter:thefinger:

My guess would be the carburetor is dirty and your not getting gas, take it apart and blast it with carburetor cleaner. I would also get a inline fuel filter if it does not already have one.

Now about the air filter, its never a good idea to run an engine with out an air filter but chances are the engine is fine. I ran an mower for years without one and a lawn mower kicks up more dust and dirt than a kart would ever think of.

Jordon

My guess would be the carburetor is dirty and your not getting gas, take it apart and blast it with carburetor cleaner. I would also get a inline fuel filter if it does not already have one.

Now about the air filter, its never a good idea to run an engine with out an air filter but chances are the engine is fine. I ran an mower for years without one and a lawn mower kicks up more dust and dirt than a kart would ever think of.

Jordon
I have seen construction equiptment dusted in less than 10 minutes buy not running an air filter:innocent:
He may get it running but I bet the compression is down and piston and cyl are worn on the intake side.next he will be ripin up recoils

Last edited:
:thefinger:just plain stupid to run any engine without an air filter:thefinger:
Snow blowers are built from the factory with NO AIR FILTER at all.. It's not good on them to run in the dirt with no air cleaner because it will eat dirt and destroy stuff... But if the engine ran fine to the point it's sitting there and idling and had to SHUT THE ENGINE OFF on purpose because IT RUNS... it PROBABLY isn't blown up.. :doah: Blown up engines don't idle until you turn the key off..

Dirty carburetors don't just happen either.. Even if the carb is completely garbage in every way shape and form... it still is getting fuel when he sprayed it with starting fluid...

so did you fix it?

1: vavle lash
2: check flywheel
3: check flywheel key
4: check ohv tube
5: clean carb
6: check kill switch
7: check magneto to flywheel gap
8: pull that pull start harder:gunsmilie: