new color for DB

delray

i was looking at some craigslist items and i ran across a blue doodlebug for sale. looks to be factory with decals and all. still has the plastic on the seat.

thats a sweet color - I'm still scouring craigslist to find a used one for myself. So i can ride with my little girl and her green machine.

Yeah I'm looking for a DB right now too. I'm not a big fan of red so I was thinking about painting it something different when I get it. I was considering: some sort of yellow, electric blue, or flat black. I'm up for suggestions though.

I didn't know they made yellow ones. I thought it was just red ones. I will probably buy a yellow one and paint it flat black eventually.
Tractor Supply have the yellow DB30s ("Dirt Bug") from time-to-time. That's where we bought ours last Christmas.

Here some before and after pics of our yellow DB30 with a 6.5 hp clone w/cjtmini engine parts installation kit ($125).

Jimmy S.

That's a nice blue for sure. The problem with re-painting it, is that if you don't do it right it will never be as good as the original paint. Also, eventually it'll flake off and get scratched. Then both colors will show and it will look like ass, if you don't do it right of course.

Tractor Supply have the yellow DB30s ("Dirt Bug") from time-to-time. That's where we bought ours last Christmas.

Here some before and after pics of our yellow DB30 with a 6.5 hp clone w/cjtmini engine parts installation kit ($125).

Jimmy S.
Yeah I like the yellow ones a lot. I hope Pep Boys has them because there $250 there until the 18th but it says something about a $30 prep. fee. Is there anything I should know before I buy one? I will probably get one on Friday. I think I will probably get the kit from CJ and maybe a exhaust.

P.S. Why do you call it a "Dirt Bug"?

Yeah I like the yellow ones a lot. I hope Pep Boys has them because there $250 there until the 18th but it says something about a $30 prep. fee. Is there anything I should know before I buy one? I will probably get one on Friday. I think I will probably get the kit from CJ and maybe a exhaust.

Do get the kit! And find out what the prep fee is! They probably assemble it and put oil in it! That is $30 towards the kit or exhaust! I have a yellow one waiting for a clone, the stock engine died recently! You wont be dissapointed!

Is there anything I should know before I buy one? I will probably get one on Friday. I think I will probably get the kit from CJ and maybe a exhaust.

"Is there anything I should know before I buy one?"

Yeah, expect to be disappointed with the mini bike's power right off the bat. There's a few things you can do to the DB30's stock 2.8 engine and the bike itself to improve it's performance:

1.) Change the oil.

2.) Pump up the air pressure in the rear tire (20 psi is what most use as rule of thumb).

3.) Drill out the muffler. Two 3/8" holes through the exhaust outlet in the muffler. Be a good idea to remove the muffler first.

4.) Back out (or remove) the throttle stop screw.

5.) Experiment with the choke lever. Some DB30's run better with the choke somewhere between the on and off positions.

6.) Use high test (or "premium") gas.

If you plan on using the stock 2.8 hp engine for a while, ProMod makes a jackshaft kit that does great for take off and increases top speed as well. The price is $119 for the jackshaft kit. Be sure to mention that you're a OldMiniBikes.com member and get a discount price for the kit.

Baja Doodlebug,Dirtbug and Blitz Bolt on Jackshaft Kit

"Why do you call it a "Dirt Bug"?"

On the front and rear fenders of the DB30 mini bikes, there's a decal with the bike's name. The yellow bike is a "Dirt Bug", the red bike is a "Doodle Bug", etcetera.

Jimmy S.

Last edited:
"Is there anything I should know before I buy one?"

Yeah, expect to be disappointed with the mini bike's power right off the bat. There's a few things you can do to the DB30's stock 2.8 engine and the bike itself to improve it's performance:

1.) Change the oil.

2.) Pump up the air pressure in the rear tire (20 psi is what most use as rule of thumb).

3.) Drill out the muffler. Two 3/8" holes through the exhaust outlet in the muffler. Be a good idea to remove the muffler first.

4.) Back out (or remove) the throttle stop screw.

5.) Experiment with the choke lever. Some DB30's run better with the choke somewhere between the on and off positions.

6.) Use high test (or "premium") gas.

If you plan on using the stock 2.8 hp engine for a while, ProMod makes a jackshaft kit that does great for take off and increases top speed as well. The price is $119 for the jackshaft kit. Be sure to mention that you're a OldMiniBikes.com member and get a discount price for the kit.

Baja Doodlebug,Dirtbug and Blitz Bolt on Jackshaft Kit

"Why do you call it a "Dirt Bug"?"

On the front and rear fenders of the DB30 mini bikes, there's a decal with the bike's name. The yellow bike is a "Dirt Bug", the red bike is a "Doodle Bug", etcetera.

Jimmy S.
Thanks but I'll probably switch engines as soon as I get it. I already have the 6.5 engine. I can probably assemble it myself and put my own oil in it so I'll save on the prep. fee unless they don't have a yellow one in the box. Should I buy the header kit as well? I want a decent pipe on it, not some drilled holes. What do they call the green one?

The green one is called a Baja Racer I believe. There is no need to drill holes into the muffler if you are going to swap the motor out. I just swapped mine out with a red 6.5 clone using the swap kit and it worked out real nice.

My stock 2.8 motor, with the throttle stop screw backed out most of the way, running premium, with two holes drilled in the motor ran decent.

Well this isn't a DB but it looks exactly like it. I saw it today when I was at Pep Boys. I hope they sell that to me for the Doodle Bug coupon price. I think they might but we'll see. It's called a Metal Motorsports Rivet.

Here's a link:
Home

Well this isn't a DB but it looks exactly like it. I saw it today when I was at Pep Boys. I hope they sell that to me for the Doodle Bug coupon price. I think they might but we'll see. It's called a Metal Motorsports Rivet.

Here's a link:
Home
Company is out of Tempe AZ. Isn't Baja Motorsports out of AZ?