New Guy From Michigan

In way of introductions, I use to have a mini bike when I was around 13 years old. It was a do it yourself type of minibike. Bought the frame from a local store in Dearborn Heights, and got a 3 hp Briggs and Straton engine from my uncle. It wasn't very fast but it was fun.

Now fast forward 43 years to today: Yesterday, I was helping my wife clean up her dads garage, and came across a Heathkit Bonnie Bike. It has a 5 hp Briggs and straton motor and had the jackshaft dismattled and placed in a box. I took the whole bike home and spent about a half day trying to get the engine and carb. cleaned up and also wanted to start sand blasting the frame. Spent most of my time trying to get the engine bolts out of the engine block. Apparently corrossion had set in on 3 of the 4 engine mounting bolts and I heated, beat and heated, over and over and even used pennetrating oil. I had never seen anything like this. I thought that heating up the engine base would be enough to get the steel bolts out, but it wasn't enough. I finally got all of the bolts out, but it was alot of work. In addition, the bottom end of the engine had signs where the corrossion had deteriated the bottom of the crankcase side (where the oil fluid plug is located). This is going to be a slow project, but I really appreciate this web site so I can learn some valuable advice.

Welcome.. These guys are awesome and very knowledgeable and turned my hobby into an addiction. I would love to see pictures if you have any.

Thanks everyone. I only have one picture for now and will try and post it tomorrow. I live in Northville, Michigan. I talked to a friend who was willing to take the engine casting to his shop and try and helioarc the hole in the crank case back up where the corrossion had been. Soon I hope to sand blast the frame and get that ready for primer.