New Guy Needs Help.....I.D. This Bike Please

..ok my first post since my intro so I'll use it to get a postitive i.d. on my bike so maybe I'll sound like I know what I'm talking about in future posts :smile:

..from looking at pics around the site I had convinced myself it was a Bonanza although many of those seem to feature rear shocks so now I'm not so sure. Looks to be mostly original..I replaced the grips, kill switch and installed the "plumbers" exhaust system to get it running..otherwise it's just as I found it some 20 years ago. Front Springs, mag wheels, Carlisle Indian Head tires, rear drum brake, Tecumseh (3hp?) ...original grips were "Cherry" brand if that means anything......

thanks in advance
Kid

...oops, rookie mistake already... pics would help:

...yeah just noticed the Scout didn't have front springs....all the orange paint looks orig so I don't think they were added later...
I'll wait for someone else to ring in because I'm confused, given the wheels it looks bonanza but the forks dont have a plate or badge so? I have a trailhorse with a similar design but it's not a TH either!

oldfatguy

it's definitely a bonanza,but not a mb250 because of the drum brake and front suspension.It is a very nice and complete bike,you even have the original chain guard . That is most likely the original orange paint that they came with. research the brochures section,it is most likely one of the scout kit bikes that is the next step up from the mb250.Very nice find, good luck with it http://s568.photobucket.com/albums/ss125/oldfatguy/bonanza MB 250/
I can make a copy of that chain guard if anyone needs one

Last edited:
it's definitely a bonanza,but not a mb250 because of the drum brake and front suspension.It is a very nice and complete bike,you even have the original chain guard . That is most likely the original orange paint that they came with. research the brochures section,it is most likely one of the scout kit bikes that is the next step up from the mb250.Very nice find, good luck with it
..thanks, yeah I guess I jumped the gun with the mb250 call...as you pointed out it has a foot operated scrub brake not a drum brake.

That's an MB series. Forks, seat are MB. I know there may not be a brochure that pictures your bike exactly, but not all brochures are on the web either. Bonanza did alot of things that weren't exactly like any of the brochures.

That's an MB series. Forks, seat are MB. I know there may not be a brochure that pictures your bike exactly, but not all brochures are on the web either. Bonanza did alot of things that weren't exactly like any of the brochures.
:thumbsup: There were a LOT of different options with Bonanza.. They would change out motor styles half way through the model year if thats what was available... I say MB250 also... If you can't get an exact idea, get ahold of Bonanzaparts.com .. Dave knows everything in the world about Bonanzas.. I say from the build and color and options you can see, definately OLD Bonanza, probably MB

Definitely an MB-300
..ok upon RestoreKid's advice I contacted Bonanza guru Dave Miller and sent him some pics of the mystery Bonanza...here's his response:

HI,SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG TO REPLY,THAT IS A BONANZA SCOUT MODEL MB 300- AND A DECENT 'SURVIVOR' AT THAT!PIPE AND CHAIN GAURD ARE BOOTLEG....DAVE

ScooterBoy wins!:thumbsup:

..thanks, yeah I guess I jumped the gun with the mb250 call...as you pointed out it has a foot operated scrub brake not a drum brake.
I just got the exact same bike. Thank you for the info. The H25 is a 1970 on mine, the tank is black plastic (not original) but the Scout sticker is still on the clutch guard. I'm restoring it now.

Wow....Endo this is like a seven year old thread ! I believe thats a record.:laugh:

But Good Luck with your bike and post some pics in a different thread.