New here, just scored a 3HP brigs for free

Hey y'all I Just scored a free 3hp briggs that appears to be in decent shape. Its on an old King O Lawn Reel mower. It has good spark and the carb/tank cleaned up pretty well with some pine sol and vinegar. I'm just waiting on some gaskets to come in the mail so I can see if it runs. I've got some old tubeless trailer wheels, have restored a few mopeds, am a certified MIG welder and used to work at a bicycle co op so I'm fairly confident I can build up a mini bike from scratch using this motor.

The Shaft is roughly 2 1/2 inches long, 5/8" in diameter and is not threaded internally. It does have a notch in the shaft where a gear for the mower is currently mounted. I I've search around and found some good information here but am hoping to get a little advice in terms of what clutch to order. Is there a clutch that would work without having to drill and tap the shaft? I'm also wondering what sort of gear ratio to shoot for. I'm hoping for more low end rather than top speed.

I Also happened to come across a pretty beat up Briggs 1150 motor out here in the woods, I'm wondering if any parts of that could come in handy.

I'm totally new to this world so any other advice is appreciated!

Also hello from Calaveras County California :cool:
king.jpg shaft2.jpg carb.jpg

Doc1976

as far as the clutch goes, the affordable route is a max torque for the 5/8 shaft. there are many other options if you want to spend more money. they utilize two set screws but I would suggest drilling and tapping the crank. If you have a drill press its extremely easy, I have done many of them. for the 5/8 crank, I tap to 1/4-28.

as far as the clutch goes, the affordable route is a max torque for the 5/8 shaft. there are many other options if you want to spend more money. they utilize two set screws but I would suggest drilling and tapping the crank. If you have a drill press its extremely easy, I have done many of them. for the 5/8 crank, I tap to 1/4-28.
Thanks for the tips, I'll look into that and probably go with a max torque to get started. Are there some common gear ratios listed somewhere? I figure I should get a ratio figured out before I start building.

Welcome Vandoog... the addiction awaits you with open arms... lol :p

Great site lots n lots of great info and the people that roam these pages are totally awesome ! :cool:

Doc1976

Thanks for the tips, I'll look into that and probably go with a max torque to get started. Are there some common gear ratios listed somewhere? I figure I should get a ratio figured out before I start building.
I usually gear between 5:1 and 6:1, I weigh right at 200. there are many factors to consider, rider weight, wheel diameter, where will you be riding, quick acceleration or higher top speed. Do you plan on running a jackshaft? if so here is a calculator

https://affordablegokarts.com/pages/gear-ratio-calculator

I usually gear between 5:1 and 6:1, I weigh right at 200. there are many factors to consider, rider weight, wheel diameter, where will you be riding, quick acceleration or higher top speed. Do you plan on running a jackshaft? if so here is a calculator

https://affordablegokarts.com/pages/gear-ratio-calculator
Thanks for the info! I'm hoping not to run a jackshaft but we will see, got get this motor going first.

Update: I got impatient waiting for these gaskets to come in the mail so I cut a carb to tank gasket out of a cereal box and put it back together. Can't seem to get it to start. It has a healthy spark. I'm hoping it won't start because the diaphragm in the carb is old. I have a new one coming in the mail. Wish me luck and throw any pointers my way!

Steve73

Update: I got impatient waiting for these gaskets to come in the mail so I cut a carb to tank gasket out of a cereal box and put it back together. Can't seem to get it to start. It has a healthy spark. I'm hoping it won't start because the diaphragm in the carb is old. I have a new one coming in the mail. Wish me luck and throw any pointers my way!
Does it run briefly If you use some starter fluid?

Good call, I’ll try some tomorrow! Do you think I could drop a little gas in the intake instead of running to the store for starter fluid?
Update took the air filter off and threw a dropper of fuel down the intake, no luck. Tried another dropper still nothing, pulled the plug and it’s totally dry