New HSS Drill Bit Set

20170330_174359.jpg

Ordered this drill bit set from amazon. i needed larger bits to make
knobs for some audio gear, don't ask...

they have that chinese look and are supposed to be M2 HSS.

they will be used on aluminum stock so hopefully they cut clean.

:thumbsup: :chinese:

phil

Last edited:
Phil...I always use a chassis punch for the larger holes, they leave a nice clean edge!
Mariah
20170331_082748.jpg

the knob shown here needs a .250" deep .625" bore to pass the nut and shaft guide.
i do this operation on a lathe with a 5/8" twist drill bit. after all the machining they
go to powder coat, anodize, knurling, or chrome.

:thumbsup:

phil

Nice hands How about a nice step drill
this the cut i am doing. a unibit would not work here. a simple drill does the job.

20170331_192827.jpg

i used to buy knobs but now boatguy comes over with wine and assorted chocolates
every wednesday night. we recall stories of you and him at winber with those puppets
and we make knobs.

A unibit is not a step drill...a true step drill does two operations at once similar to a drill & counterbore.
Honestly I don't think you'll find a good Asian bit unless it's made by a American company overseas. Morse cutting tools-SKF Dormer-Precision twist drill.

A unibit is not a step drill...a true step drill does two operations at once similar to a drill & counterbore.
Honestly I don't think you'll find a good Asian bit unless it's made by a American company overseas. Morse cutting tools-SKF Dormer-Precision twist drill.
thanks for the correction! it's a good thing i don't make my living as a machinist!

and deference to peekster for trying to show me the way!!

You can go to Asia however, and find superb precision machining equipment. It's not imported.

Serious high quality bits...you're going to enjoy drilling with them!
the tooling and finishing on these drill bits is light years past that chinese junk i first
had. heading out to the tool shed in a bit to see how they work.

on another note; i need to make some of these knobs with a top side bore that has
a flat bottom. some people like their knobs made a certain way. so would i be better
off to drill the hole to depth then use a boring bar or an end mill? all these cuts will
be interrupted. materials can be aluminum or run of the mill CRS.

Yes, carbide works much better with speed. Set tool right on center by pinching a feeler gauge between tool tip and OD. The strip will be vertical when it's pinched at center height.

Yes, carbide works much better with speed. Set tool right on center by pinching a feeler gauge between tool tip and OD. The strip will be vertical when it's pinched at center height.
ok. i'll pm you with some more details in the morning. i just finished up drilling the rest of the
knobs with the new drill bits. much smoother. but the rpm that i used initially caused some chattering.
the bit diam is .625", material is T6063 aluminum. its says to run it at 1200 rpm, but cuts are much
cleaner at 250 rpm.

rookie mistakes i am sure.....

:thumbsup:

phil

Phil,
If I remember right, you are running a vintage South Bend. This lends itself to trial and error a bit. With a lantern tool post, you could make a boring bar from a chipped-tooth old tap by grinding the tap very slow and keeping the water handy for cooling. I'm guessing you are using 6061 T4 or T6 aluminum round bar or C1018 Cold Rolled Steel. Both have fairly low machinability numbers and are pretty friendly. For each material, hone any High Speed Steel boring bar (tap re-ground) or lantern tool post tool bit with a medium and fine grit diamond hone till they are really sharp, fingernail test. That, along with some Cool Tool II for lubrication and cooling should improve your results. With Carbide, your slower lathe should produce an acceptable finish. This has been my experience with my 1939 Sheldon overhead leather belt drive 10 X26 lathe running at a whopping 508 rpms. Drill to depth with a smaller drill and finish as you wish.
Have fun, I hope this helps. Outstanding suggestions here from everyone. I would be interested to read what PAP would suggest on this subject. Most of my lathe work is with the two materials I mentioned.
SAT