new member, first build

derf

I went over my friends shop last week with my pocket bike (one of the real italian ones, not the chinese BS), anyway we raced our bikes around for a while, and I kicked his ass every time, except for when he went on dirt, I would just stop and look. Anyway, he had an extra frame and an engine that he gave to me. So after a few hours worth of work and a bunch of parts I have it almost done.

I'm not sure what kind of frame it is, it is either an Alexander Reynolds or a Ruttman, although I am thinking it is a Reynolds because the upper frame railes are straight and not curved.

Sorry about the bad cell phone pictures.

This is what it looked like in the begining

and after all the work. it doesn't look like much of a difference, but it really was alot of work. The rear sprocket needed to be machined to fit over the hub, then drilled to accept the bolts. I tried to turn the clutch the other way, but the output shaft is too short which forced me to build a new mount plate for the engine so that i can slide the engine as far to the right as I could. At the same time I had to cut spacers to move the rear wheel as far to the left as I could. Then when i finally get the sprockets to line upthe chain is hitting the frame by the sprocket, so I put a small notch (and brace the notch) in the frame. i also added a kick stand, and fixed how the handle bar mounts, and added a throttle, and return spring for the brake,

I have some better (folding) footpegs that I want to add, and I am thinking that I want to make it more of a cafe racer style minibike. Sorta like this ducati

I also (unsuccessfully) tried to start it today, it doesnt have a pull start, I tried to use a socket wrench and ratchet. Tommorrow I'm going to try and make a bracket so I can use a power drill. The engine has an 18mm nut on the end, I just have to spin it fast enough.

Try cutting off the top of a 3/8 extension, the 3 inch one, then snap on your 18mm socket, put cut end in drill, select forward or reverse, for the way the engine spins, presto an electric starter for a stubborn motor.
dave

You've definitely got an Alexander Reynolds. The frame tubes have the straight section where they're welded to the neck. The Ruttman's top tubes extend past the neck and the bottom ones are butt welded to the neck.