Teoc

Always wanted a mini bike as a kid, guess my parents were too smart for that, I had 4 wheel toys.

But now I'm grown and can do what I want.

Just ordered a 212 hemi predator.
Got an old TAV2 drive and driven from an old kart.
Ordered some 20x7- 8 wheels and knobby tires, 12 & 54T sprockets, chain, and brake caliper.

Have two lathes and a mill, torch, welders, etc, so why not build a custom frame? I'm thinking full suspension. :)

SAS289

Welcome....If you poke around this forum enough you will find that you will need to reconsider your gearing. A tire that tall, a TAV2, and that gearing will not be very desirable. At a minimum you would need a 9 tooth on the end of the TAV to go with your 54 out back. 8 tooth is probably what you need. And that's if you want to keep the 54 sprocket. With that tire size and a TAV you should shoot for about a 7/1 ratio for drive and driven sprockets.

Teoc

Guess I was overestimating the ratio of the T/C. I'll order a 70 driven and if it's still too tall when it's done then drop to a 10T driver.

Any guys running solo seats with the springs? How do those compare to a swing arm? Easier to design and build for sure but I don't wanna knock my fillings out either.

Got the front forks drawn up using some 7/8 ID, 1-1/8OD bronze bushings 7/8 OD stainless tubing, and some 1-1/4 tubing bored to accept the bushings. Going to let the top of the inner stick up through the top with a nice cap nut on top, should look cool anyway.

Teoc

First pic is my first rough drawing of a frame. Each square = 2" Second pic is how I'm planning to make my telescopic forks, not to scale.

Welcome to the fun and best of luck with your build , where are you at in Mississippi ? We have a big Rat Rod show tomorrow with MINI BIKE RACING in Gulfport ! and another super event in Lucedale coming up in May !

Grenada/Carrollton/Greenwood area. Bit far north of Gulfport sadly. And seven day work weeks don't help matters for planning trips. Nice for the funds though.

Went and got the old torque converter from the barn. Dunno where the old base plate with jack shaft for it is, driven was originally held on with a welded over nut, whole kart was a basket case when I got it. I remember grinding off the nut when the jackshaft bearings went out. Been years ago. Thing is real dirty but I'll blast it clean with this soft media in the cabinet at work. 20170423_004737.jpg

Got it blasted and reassembled. Got some small cracks Around the rivets on the driven that I may weld a bit. Think I'll pick up some flat black engine paint and bake it on. 20170423_034355.jpg