New motor need to know hp ?

just got this wisconsin robon w1 185 for free but i have no idea what hp is and if i should keep it or not . i no nothing about these motors any idea's would be great!!! :confused:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I haven't seen one of those in years. It looks to be in real good condition. But those motors are ment to be ran for 50 years box stock. Not much power from them either, maybe 4-4.5hp.

one of the kids in the neighborhood gave me a gokart frame and this was on it .i took the motor off and gave the kart to the kid acroos the street ,he is the only kid without a motorized toy so i told him as long as he helped his parents and did his chores i would help him build it .

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
That's cool helping others. I seem to do that no matter if I want to or not. The guys out here always need one piece, or part, or something modified to run.

i know that feeling !!i do more work to everyone else's stuff and when it comes to my projects their just put off to the side. but hell helping people is cool , CARMA what comes around goes around .

well if this motor is only a 4hp i guess i'll have to let bob (rds) my buddy have it so he can put it on his shelve with all the other old vintage motors .this motor is cool it is all there i just have no need for a small hp motor.

your underestimating that motor i have the graphs (performance curve) for it and it has torque past 4000 rpm and can produce about 5.5 hp according to the chart this engine is alot better then a 5hp briggs just because it (5hp Briggs)loses torque when it gains rpm. this engines insides are ALL quality aluminum the rod in these engines looks like a billet rod and im sure it would last past 7 k. crack her open and take a look inside!!

once again the performance curve on this engine is a STRAIGHT LINE!! unlike many other engines

Last edited:
your underestimating that motor i have the graphs (performance curve) for it and it has torque past 4000 rpm and can produce about 5.5 hp according to the chart this engine is alot better then a 5hp briggs just because it (5hp Briggs)loses torque when it gains rpm. this engines insides are ALL quality aluminum the rod in these engines looks like a billet rod and im sure it would last past 7 k. crack her open and take a look inside!!

once again the performance curve on this engine is a STRAIGHT LINE!! unlike many other engines
But,but,,,It doesn't have 50HP therefore it's useless. :thefinger:

I fixed one of these for my brother in law (pressure washer) Looked like a strong and well built engine and perfect for a mini. I recall the parts (like carb rebuild kits) being a little pricey locally, might be better on line though.

With a carb, header, and tweaks I bet you could get 7 HP easy.

Motra

They are very well built engines. The old L-head Hondas were built like tanks too. Not knocking Briggs or Tecumseh because I like them both, but if you compare a rod from a 3.5HP Honda to a 3.5HP Briggs or Tecumseh rod, there's a big difference. Bigger, stronger rod with bigger wrist pin and big end journals. I think the Hondas were actually overbuilt. Some of the old snowblowers have engines that run flawlesly, just like new, but you can't get the parts anymore to repair the snowblower.

well i was not being a DICK like some people and saying that just because it was not a 50hp motor it was junk i have boxes full of 5.5 honda's and 6.5 clones and i even have a real nice 5hp briggs . i meant i did not need a smaller motor than what i already have... thats all . i like robin motors it looks well built ,it just serve any purpose to me i don't have a vintage minibike to put it on ,i'm sorry if that offends some people that i don't have vintage in my garage ,but different strokes for different folks.....

well i was not being a DICK like some people and saying that just because it was not a 50hp motor it was junk i have boxes full of 5.5 honda's and 6.5 clones and i even have a real nice 5hp briggs . i meant i did not need a smaller motor than what i already have... thats all . i like robin motors it looks well built ,it just serve any purpose to me i don't have a vintage minibike to put it on ,i'm sorry if that offends some people that i don't have vintage in my garage ,but different strokes for different folks.....
I guy I know on the penninsula just offered me a Robin for 50.00. He said it would slide right in on the Tote Gote. I want more top end on the Gote so I'm thinking about it. Maybe eliminate 1 jackshaft. If I don't have to cut or drill I may do it. But I know very little about the Robin engines.

Motra

Those old Robin engines are probably some of the best engines built but I think you'd do yourself a big favor to just stick with a common engine.

Okay, I aquired a old Briggs 5 hp flathead from a tiller. But the crank is larger than my 3 hp Briggs and I don't think I'll find a "climb away clutch" to fit (I think that's what it is called). I would like the Gote to do about 25 mph or so to keep up with N58591's 6.5 DB.

Okay, I aquired a old Briggs 5 hp flathead from a tiller. But the crank is larger than my 3 hp Briggs and I don't think I'll find a "climb away clutch" to fit (I think that's what it is called). I would like the Gote to do about 25 mph or so to keep up with N58591's 6.5 DB.
What shaft size do you have? bigger engine isn't going to get you speed I have a 5.5HP with the same ratio and it still crawls, you need to put a smaller sprocket on your top right JS then maybe get a bigger engine to handle the higher gear ratio. You want to keep up with the DB? gear it the same as the DB,, I KNOW he cant climb the same hills your Gote can. (apples and oranges)

Last edited: