New style DB30 vs old style DB30?

Sprocket86

Really have the itch to build up a new style Baja DB 30. Could someone explain the difference and or the ups and downs of each style of DB 30 frame and fork. I'm 6 foot 5 and 180 lbs.

I see you can mount up a GX200 or 6.5 clone with the aluminum adapter plate and also bolt up a Tav2 with very little mods vs the old frame wich required cutting away frame sections or notching the Tav back plate? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

The disadvantage to the new style is the forks. Being that tall you would be uncomfortable on the new style DB since the forks do not sweep forward. I also disagree on the swap info. The old style has more room. If you plan to keep the stock tank on the engine, it can be a tight fit. The TAV back plate needs trimming on either application from my experience but is very worth the effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sprocket86

The disadvantage to the new style is the forks. Being that tall you would be uncomfortable on the new style DB since the forks do not sweep forward. I also disagree on the swap info. The old style has more room. If you plan to keep the stock tank on the engine, it can be a tight fit. The TAV back plate needs trimming on either application from my experience but is very worth the effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi there.

I see what you mean and I think other members on here have bent them forward to correct this issue. I googled "DB 30 with Tav" and I found a link to here with an older thread where the two frames were compared for ease of Tav installation. The newer frame only required to have the engine mount plate notched and the chain tensioner bracket removed. The 1st gen frame requires the rear fender/frame brace to be bent backwards or removed completly along with the removal of the chain tensioner bracket. This is just what I've gathered poking around with google. I understand that fuel tank space is limited with the newer frame due to the front frame brace.

You are backwards on that , The new style frame has to have the rear fender mount modified or removed , both will need new engine slots or an adapter plate , You need old style frame at 6'5" you'll be miserable on the new style DB !

You need old style frame at 6'5" you'll be miserable on the new style DB !
I'll take it one further...
At your height why are you thinking about a DB (old or new style) AT ALL? Why not get a large-framed bike and really be comfortable?
Michael

Sprocket86

I'll take it one further...
At your height why are you thinking about a DB (old or new style) AT ALL? Why not get a large-framed bike and really be comfortable?
Michael
Yes your completely right on that one lol. I was just looking for something that's easy to obtain for not much $$. I've always wanted a Heald Inc VT-8 but never seen one for sale where I'm from.

What would be some other mini bikes that would suit my height?

Yes your completely right on that one lol. I was just looking for something that's easy to obtain for not much $$. I've always wanted a Heald Inc VT-8 but never seen one for sale where I'm from.

Yes. A Coleman is just a big DB30 if you look at them close. They have 8 inch wheels and you can find them new at Walmart and Tractor Supply. Anywhere from $299 to $599. Just shop around. I am surprised somewhere like Princess Auto doesn't carry them.

The Coleman is a CT200 and they just cam out with a DB sized Coleman CT100. I think someone here said they bought one on Amazon.

Or look for a Baja Warrior. 8 inch wheels same as a Coleman.

I spent the night in London, Ontario once years ago. Passing through on the Q E Way......

Last edited:

Sprocket86

Yes. A Coleman is just a big DB30 if you look at them close. They have 8 inch wheels and you can find them new at Walmart and Tractor Supply. Anywhere from $299 to $599. Just shop around. I am surprised somewhere like Princess Auto doesn't carry them.

The Coleman is a CT200 and they just cam out with a DB sized Coleman CT100. I think someone here said they bought one on Amazon.

Or look for a Baja Warrior. 8 inch wheels same as a Coleman.
I don't know if the Coleman CT200 is available in Canada. I would really like to find something made in north america from the heyday. I'm well aware that I will have to spend more $$ but I love this hobby so I don't care.

There are a few or more diehard mini bike fans that live within 200-400 km of me and when ever something nice comes up, it's gone. Himmm lol. I've posted want ad's in my area for vintage hardware and get very little responses.

I've always wanted a Heald Inc VT-8 but never seen one for sale where I'm from.
My son got a Heald Super Bronc VT-8 early last year and we are looking for another one. I am 6'1"/290 lbs and it is the most comfortable bike I have ever been on (At 63 years old I've ridden "a few"). That bike has so much torque it does notice even notice that I am on it. Another simple "adult-sized" bike would be the Bad Dog "kit" bikes (Google them). The only negative to me is that they do not have any suspension, just like the DB's and The Colemans. If you are a young man that is probably not a big deal to you- for me ,with my old bones it is a deal breaker!
Michael

I don't ride the Coleman on trails..80% asphault 20% dirt road..
still .....rides better than db30..if they sold a new bike with back and front suspension at a reasonable price i'd buy it...

Last edited:
I don't ride the Coleman on trails..80% asphault 20% dirt road..
still .....rides better than db30..if they sold a new bike with back and front suspension at a reasonable price i'd buy it...
They do , can't remember name but just like a Baja with full rear suspension , Studz in Michigan sells them !

They do , can't remember name but just like a Baja with full rear suspension , Studz in Michigan sells them !
Ones i've seen under different names availablity was sketchy...basically a mb200 with rear suspension.. called Trailmaster Monster dog 3 now Gokarts USA $1600 shipped to east coast.Killermotorsports..calls it just a Trailmaster around $1000 plus shipping...thats with a 200cc..still a little pricey..i could live without it for that much..i got no trails by my home to ride close anyway unless i want to trailer it

Last edited:
Ones i've seen under different names availablity was sketchy...basically a mb200 with rear suspension.. called Trailmaster Monster dog 3 now Gokarts USA $1600 shipped to east coast..thats with a 200cc $$$$ i would live without it for that much..or buy a welder do myself
Da Boss , check em out Studz Power Sports $899

The Baja Warrior is a bit longer and comes with a 196 cc engine already; they seem to be readily available. Not sure what it takes to a TAV though. There's the arctic cat mini bike for sale in London if you're looking for something older?

As previously mentioned, it is the older style DB that only requires an engine riser plate and some slight cutting to fit a TAV. the picture is only for visual ref. I had a torque converter I was going to add but we decided on a single gear only rule for a racing. If you don't need a TAV you can just drill new holes and mount a 6.5