New to group and new owner of a Whirlwind

Just wanted to introduce myself.

Got ahold of a Whirlwind with the Tecumseh H40. Oxidized red paint with faded decals but most of the parts seem to be there.

Got it running over the weekend and took a quick ride, but it'll be a project to get everything right.

A couple questions:
1. Are decals still available for a Whirlwind? Would like to have them after a rattle can paint job.
2. It has an oil leak from the gov shaft. Yes, the shaft has some play, but I'm thinking maybe the breather isn't working right and the pressure is blowing oil out the governor shaft hole. All suggested resolutions/experiences appreciated.
3. Has anyone used the thumb-style throttle control? I really liked it on the PWC.
3a. Also thinking about a hand brake instead of the foot brake. Has anyone done this modification?
4. What foot pegs came on the Whirlwind? Previous Owner welded rods to the frame. I think he learned to weld on this mini bike.:laugh:
5. Having trouble getting it to idle consistently below 1700 RPM. Is this typical for these small engines?

IMG_4098.JPG IMG_4099.JPG

Hope I put this in the correct section of the forum.

Thanks in advance for any help,
JR

Last edited:
Welcome. This is great site. You're probably going to ask your questions in some of the various sub-forums to get the best answers. The search feature works pretty good, too.

MikeBear

Just wanted to introduce myself.

Got ahold of a Whirlwind with the Tecumseh H40. Oxidized red paint with faded decals but most of the parts seem to be there.

Got it running over the weekend and took a quick ride, but it'll be a project to get everything right.

A couple questions:
1. Are decals still available for a Whirlwind? Would like to have them after a rattle can paint job.
2. It has an oil leak from the gov shaft. Yes, the shaft has some play, but I'm thinking maybe the breather isn't working right and the pressure is blowing oil out the governor shaft hole. All suggested resolutions/experiences appreciated.
3. Has anyone used the thumb-style throttle control? I really liked it on the PWC.
3a. Also thinking about a hand brake instead of the foot brake. Has anyone done this modification?
4. What foot pegs came on the Whirlwind? Previous Owner welded rods to the frame. I think he learned to weld on this mini bike.:laugh:
5. Having trouble getting it to idle consistently below 1700 RPM. Is this typical for these small engines?

View attachment 87370 View attachment 87371

Hope I put this in the correct section of the forum.

Thanks in advance for any help,
JR
Ken-Bar went bankrupt a few years ago, so the only thing left for parts and such, is what you can scrounge off of Ebay. The original footpegs were a nice folding setup. Sort of like these, except they were metal: Vintage Mini Bike Folding Foot Peg Set Scooter Motorcycle Chopper Bobber | eBay

The "Idle" issue is common to those Tecumseh's when they get a little used, and the only fix is to replace the carburetor with the older style that has adjustments. A better cure is to replace the engine.

Last edited: