Newbie needs help with my first mini bike build

I am making progress but having a hard time figuring out how to connect the throttle cable to the engine linkage. I have attached a pic. The thin steel wire that was on the engine is bent so it can slide through the linkage hole but my new throttle cable is wire braided. I am driving myself crazy trying to figure out a safe way to hook it up.

Thanks for any help. I have the parts for a second mini bike if I can build this one.

Attachments

If you have the cable sleeve secured and are trying to get the cable attached, then using one of these should get you going:

https://www.autozone.com/collision-...vxhytAguQELFPWbHZXRoCd1wQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you are trying to get the sleeve secured as well, then you need to find a place on your bike to attach something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sellerocity-...cphy=9026090&hvtargid=pla-1954305523091&psc=1

I hope this helps or gets you some ideas, there may be someone else here with better ones then me.:)

It looks like you’re trying to attach the cable directly to the throttle plate, which would bypass the engine’s governor system (designed to prevent damagingly high rpm). Just so you’re aware…;)
It looks like a 2/3HP Briggs, do those even have a governor? They don't in the normal 5HP spot at least. Just curious.

DaddyJohn

Not my typical engine to be playing with, but I got it for for fee, it fit decently, so…:D Anyway, my vane governor was working erratically, sticking, etc. so I went directly to the throttle plate for safety sake in this instance (see pic). Wasn’t going to be wringing it out anyway, lol.

Attachments

If you have the cable sleeve secured and are trying to get the cable attached, then using one of these should get you going:

https://www.autozone.com/collision-...vxhytAguQELFPWbHZXRoCd1wQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you are trying to get the sleeve secured as well, then you need to find a place on your bike to attach something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sellerocity-...cphy=9026090&hvtargid=pla-1954305523091&psc=1

I hope this helps or gets you some ideas, there may be someone else here with better ones then me.:)
cowboyJoe, thank you very much, this site has been great

I did purchase the cable stop clamps but am at a loss as to how to use them. The hole that the cable goes through is too small to insert even the smallest diameter cable stop (and the bolt is also too large to fit through the hole). I could drill out the hole but there is not much material left to allow me to do it safely. I am trying to get this complete so the grandkids can ride it before the snow. I have everything else completed and would be pulling my hair out if I had any left. I did some searching for throttle cables with the bent/hooked end but could not find any.

If anyone has access to an old style throttle cable that has the bent end that I need, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

pomfish

I did purchase the cable stop clamps but am at a loss as to how to use them. The hole that the cable goes through is too small to insert even the smallest diameter cable stop (and the bolt is also too large to fit through the hole). I could drill out the hole but there is not much material left to allow me to do it safely. I am trying to get this complete so the grandkids can ride it before the snow. I have everything else completed and would be pulling my hair out if I had any left. I did some searching for throttle cables with the bent/hooked end but could not find any.

If anyone has access to an old style throttle cable that has the bent end that I need, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Drill a new hole in front of the one that is there. looks like there is a pad in front that may accept a big enough hole to shove cable through.

DaddyJohn

If you look at the pic I posted, you can see pretty clearly at least one way it can be done. The boss to clamp the cable housing in place should be on your stock carb, and I used a small cable stop from an eBay cable repair kit, except I drilled the hole in the throttle arm slightly bigger and inserted the screw for the cable stop through the hole and into the stop.

If this is a picture of your engine, the cable can be bent and pushed through the top hole. The cable stop can then be installed on the cable. hook a spring around the cable, next to the cable stop and stretch that spring toward the engine, wrap it around a bolt, find something to hook it to, so it will act as a throttle return spring. 1699996717857.png

Drill a new hole in front of the one that is there. looks like there is a pad in front that may accept a big enough hole to shove cable through.
I like this idea. Unless I can find a throttle cable with a looped (?) end, I will drill a new hole and use the cable stop.