Newbie with a new project 2

C

catnewbie

After further review I've moved this post to where it should have been in the first place. Sorry, I'm pretty new to this forum stuff. It was hotter than hades today in western Tennessee but I spent a couple of hours on the bike. I checked the oil and it was full and gold so I didn't change it. The gas was old, I could only tell when I drained it and put fresh in. I pulled the float bowel and it was rusty of course so I cleaned it out with a nylon pad and soap and dried it and put it back on. I pulled the spark plug and it didn't look so good so I cleaned it up with an old tooth brush and a very little bit of fresh gas and after it dried out I hooked up the wire and grounded the plug on the side of the motor and pulled the starter rope and I got a real nice blue spark. I pulled the choke and tugged on the rope again in after about 5 pulls the engine started and ran just fine. Needless to say I was pretty happy about that. I then dug around and found a couple of old Harley linkert parts, a spring for the throttle return and a pivot for the throttle cable (I had to cut the pivot shaft down on the lathe a bit) and rigged up a passable throttle system. Mindful that the governor was unhooked I cranked it up again and took off down the block for my first ride. Everything seems to be fine, it sounds like I have a rattle in the front wheel so I will take that apart this week to see what it looks like. Other than being so hot it was a good day.:scooter:

Here's the picture of the wrong air cleaner and muffler

C

catnewbie

If you're serious just let me know where to send it and I'll send you a couple of big fat ones' tomorrow. Just make sure your mailbox is clear since they'll probably be a couple of megs apiece. I've got to take it apart and make sure it's all there so a couple of pics will be no problem.

He thanks, just a close up like did the engine is fine, I just need an idea of how The cats were, I have scubs and am going to add brakes to my small cats.

Get that oil changed pronto and check you wheel bearings. :thumbsup:

Whoa! My friend used to have that exact bike! I still have the shocks and chrome frame toggle switch holder somewhere. Next time I see him I'll get the pics from it.

C

catnewbie

Thanks for all the info folks. And Josh, I didn't know the Rupp stuff was the same so thanks again. I'll get in contact with Brandt and see what I can come up with. I just pulled the brake and took pictures and put them in the album. If anyone needs a different or better picture let me know and I'll fix you up. These are the small ones' for the web, I can take a larger more detailed shot if needed. It looks like all I need is a spacer, new nuts and bolts and a brake pad and the brakes are good to go. Next thing for me to figure out is what size motor I have. The model and serial number plate is dented just enough to be hard to read. I'm thinking of taking it off to see if it could be read better from behind. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. I'll see if I can get to the oil and wheel bearings tomorrow, this is a full week so I may not get much time to do anything else for a few days.

Thanks again, :scooter:

Hey thanks Cat! :thumbsup:

Is this the one you are trying to install?

It's your standard gokart brake and I have a bunch coming in a day or two. Thanks for getting the pic's up fast, I want it to look kind of stock. :thumbsup:

C

catnewbie

No problem on the pictures. I guess maybe I'm missing half of my disc brake? Kinda looks that way. If you're going have any for sale put me down for one please.

C

catnewbie

Thanks, I look forward to seeing the pics. In the meantime I'll check out the link you sent me and I'll head to ebay to see about the caliper. If I could just find a cat caliper I bet I could make one. So many projects and too little time...

:smile:

OK, Cat I got the brakes tonight but it was dark for good pics. :doah: I just set the brake there for the pic, it about where it might be.

The cat sprocket is tight to the tire so its a very tight fit and the nuts on the back of the brake will have to go and the bolts must be shoter and flush with the outside, it is threaded so you could go without nuts. then theres the problem of the arm hitting the frame or setting up the cable with the frame in the way. I think I can make it work but had no time tonight. I might also shim the sprocket anyway on one or two for some old Briggs 5 HP's with the bulged shaft cover.

Your bracket might work and it might not, I'd have to see it and the brake is set up for the braket in the middle. The scooter brake I used before takes up less inner space and is spring loaded for play but it won't match your bracket.

It might be worth the $12 to try one. GTO

Your pic (look at braket,,,

Go cart brake. (manco)

C

catnewbie

I'm going to get one for sure. I'd really like to borrow or rent the back of the caliper from a Cat 400X so I can spec it out and make one. I guess I'll post it in the parts wanted ads. In the meantime I'll hit google and ebay and find one to play with. For less than $20 I can mess with it and if I destroy it then no big deal. Thanks!

C

catnewbie

I just ordered the brake and pads, I appreciate the heads up. I'm sure I can make it work. All it takes is time:hammer:

Yeah, that's an interesting brake design...it appears to just press a pad against the outside of the sprocket, rather than two pads, pressing against both sides.