Nomad's H70 tecumseh

Got a 7hp tecumseh here. love to get some info and/or history on this engine. it goes on my 70's Nomad three wheeler and needs a little work. when i got it, it had the head off, no shroud, a birds nest in the cylinder, anddddd no oil...:thumbsup:. so good so far. I had no idea what engine it was and only found out from seeing "tecumseh" written on the flywheel so I am learning. I did get a shroud online off a snow blower and it fits perfect so thats a plus. should run fine after a good valve lapping and a tune up. a couple of questions though. I heard these engines have a governor mounted to the block right behind the intake. mine does not have this nor does it have any holes made where it would have went. I heard it maybe since it was used for a three wheeler it maybe a supped up model. any ideas on where to start with this guy?

The gov would be on the side cover.Thats not a 7HP....its either an 8or10HP. The carb is on the other side on a 7HP Tecumseh.Still a good motor....measure the cyl bore and post it.Does it have a lighted coil on it?....it looks like a steel sleeve motor.

Last edited:
It is a steel sleeve. I was questioning if it was a 7hp but since i did not have the shroud i couldn't tell. I will check out the bore and yea its a lighted coil. Since I am using a shroud from a different engine (luckily its a 8hp shroud) I am missing the arm that the throttle links to on the side.

I think I may have the arm you need I will check this weekend for you...I took it of my HM80 when I put the Mikuni on it. Mine has the lighted coil too.Very nice engine with gobs of power.If the cyl measures about 3-1/16 its an 8HP.

I think I may have the arm you need I will check this weekend for you...I took it of my HM80 when I put the Mikuni on it. Mine has the lighted coil too.Very nice engine with gobs of power.If the cyl measures about 3-1/16 its an 8HP.
Thatd be great I appreciate it. yeah it was around that bore size, really surprised there wasn't any major scarring in the cylinder wall, just some surface rust. any ideas on how to get it cleaned without tearing the engine completely down?

Last edited:
There's probably a lot of different ways to do it. I did this once...I put CLR on a rag and with the piston all the way down I wiped it out real good then put marvel mystery oil in the cyl and spun the piston up& down a few times.You can repeat if necessary it worked for me.
Did the engine sit for a long time like that?

There's probably a lot of different ways to do it. I did this once...I put CLR on a rag and with the piston all the way down I wiped it out real good then put marvel mystery oil in the cyl and spun the piston up& down a few times.You can repeat if necessary it worked for me.
Did the engine sit for a long time like that?
i give it a shot. it isnt severe just like it a little smoother, it sat for 15 years with the engine open so I cant complain too much on how well its cleaning up.

Ok well this engine is a 8hp sport engine, also I know it wouldnt have had the primer bulb and the sticker I have is wrong but the shrouding came off a snowblower and right now I am just trying to get it all dialed in before I do anymore cosmetic on it. We got it running like a new one with the help of my manual I bought and I could not be happier with how its coming out. choke and 2 pulls she fires right up. The stock muffler will be going for a straight pipe, I saved the old flange that was on so I will be fabricating a little so suggestions are welcome.. Have found a gas leak in the carb (walbro lme) which I am trying to figure out. It is leaking out of the breather so I am assuming the float is not closing all the way or maybe the bowl gasket?? Also I need the linkage which I found a picture for and hope someone may could help me out. It is the second (3 piece) in the scanned picture. :scooter: