not really a category for this

well i got a 12hp kohler off a 67 ford lawn tractor. yea i know weird but its side shaft and i went to try to get it running a few nights ago and it feels like there is no compression did kohlers has very little compresstion? and what would it take to rebuild one of these motors is it worth it?

put it back on the tractor and sell the whole thing. Big ol hunk of cast iron aint exactly minibike worthy. You should get a compression tester. they come in handy. Im not sure which models they were but i know alot of those engines had a shot lifespan because they didnt oil properly when on a slope

oh i wouldnt throw it away i wanted to know if it would be worth my time to try to get it running our just plop a nice big mini bike motor on it right now the tractor is all #'s matching everything (not that that means much) id like to get it running but i dont wanna tear it down cuase i know nothing about these motors:scared:

i wasnt planning on putting it on a mini bike lol way to heavy and no balls loli wanted to get the tracotr running so i could sell it
That twelve horse kohler has more balls than anything you own buddy :doah: Those things are luggers.. Yes it should have the appropriate compression for a big ole 12 horse. It may feel low rolling it slow by hand because that's kinda how they are.. Genestart slow lugger motor.. It likes to get whirling before stuff starts happening.. BUT if it feels like there's NO compression look for a hole in the block. Kohler makes a hell of a good engine but THEY TOO will pop if ran too hard too long with no oil.. If it has NO compression, as with most ANY old motor..you MIGHT just have a valve sticking.. ESPECIALLY in an Iron motor because iron rusts.. Fast..... That's pretty common for old iron motors that have been sitting.... Not uncommon in aluminum motors either.... Pull the head and see if the piston and valves all go up and down and the valves are seating right with no corosion or rust on the valve or seat..... That's an easy start..... YES, it IS worth rebuilding IF IT NEEDS it... and they are starting to get pricey because they are good motors and they stopped making them a long time ago... But usually, If it's never been blown up... a Kohler Iron Motor usually just needs gone through and cleaned up, valves, points, standard stuff.. They wear out and start smoking but that's a who cares item on those motors.. If it's BAD smoke and no power ya might wanna rebuild it. Rings and hone job and valves... But I'd do like Wayne said and sell the vintage tractor to a tractor guy for 300 bucks and spend it on Cats... If the motor is not blown up, it would make an EXCELLENT one to GET running..... If all the stuff moves IT WILL run.. That would be a great learning experience for you. :thumbsup: Adjustable carb and all.. Make the whole tractor a bad ass running pulling mowing machine and Craigslist the bitch for 600 bucks.. :punk:

well i pulled the plug out and put my thumb over the hole to see if it would blow it out like a motor with compression is suposed to but it didnt and it felt very weak maybe the rings are stuck to the wall? and i was planning on making a pull tractor out of it cause of the big motor and all and it already has a big geared rear in it it is just the motor and i would love to sell it there is a guy aroung the corner form me that collects old tracotrs but i bought it off of him and i asked if he'd buy it back and the guy is a cheap ass and wont do it so i am kinda stuck with it. i got it for 75 bucks like 6 years ago and never got around to do anything with it. i dont even know were to get parts for the motor? like gaskets etc?

It's most likely a K301. I have a couple on Wheelhorses. You can make 40-50 hp with it, if you want a killer pulling tractor, but that would kill your minibike budget. It's worth fixing. Does it have the starter/generator or regular electric starter? I don't know what year they changed. You can get parts all over the internet, or at any older mower shop.

yep it has a generator like a cars alternator i thought that was pretty cool everything spind freely and it is a 1967 i got all the manuals and recipets and everything the parts list all that stuff i would love to restore it but like oyu said it would kill my mini bike buget

So, is it a horizontal shaft, or a vertical shaft engine? I have had a bunch of vertical shaft Kohlers, from 12.5 hp up to 15hp. They are good motors, a little finicky in the carb. Only thing I don't like about them is that they have no low oil shut off. All mine were on big walk behind mowers, on steep slopes they would get a little oil starved.

If you got spark and SOME compression.. and everything looks good inside.. Make sure you get your head sealed back up.. make sure everything is lubed up good, oil is full.. little EXTRA oil on stuff SPECIALLY the cylinder wall around the piston a little.... Whirl the living piss out of it with a GOOD battery and give him a few squirts of gas down the carb and she might just bark to life.. If ya can get it fired and stay running good chance it will burn itself back into, lets go racing, mode.. They don't like super high rpms and no oil stuff but just run it cruising speed like they're meant for and they're a bad bastard.. Torque out the ass.. :scooter:

Oh, and mini bikes use Horizontal shaft... It refers to the way the crank is laying.. Vertical would be like the lawnmower motors where it's vertical strait up and down...

it has spark i found that out the hard way lol it hurt somthing has to be up with it is has spark but all i did was spray starting fluid in the carb ll try gas tomarrow and pull the head etc thanks for your help all

Nope, Vertical is the orientation of the crankshaft to the world... Minibikes are horizontal because the crankshaft is horizontal with the world... Vertical would be if it was going up and down, Vertically AWAY from the world...